Subject: bug#14671: 24.3.50; void function cheeso-reform-string

From: Lucien Pullen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 09:22:37 -0500

When hovering over certain text (such as the node listing at the top of
an Info page) with the mouse, the message "Error
running timer `tooltip-timeout': (void-function cheeso-reform-string)"
is printed to the minibuffer.

In the *ielm* buffer (M-x ielm), hovering over text entered the debugger.  Here is
the backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function cheeso-reform-string)
  cheeso-reform-string(74 "mouse-2: insert after prompt as new input")
  ad-Advice-tooltip-show(#[(text &optional use-echo-area) "\203\302	!\207\303\304\305\217\207" [use-echo-area text tooltip-show-help-non-mode error (byte-code "\306!\307\310\311\"\307\310\312\"\n;\203\313\314\n#\313\315\n#	;\203*\313\316	#\317\320\f\321\310#\322 
&+\207" [tooltip-frame-parameters bg fg params text tooltip-hide-delay copy-sequence face-attribute tooltip :foreground :background tooltip-set-param foreground-color border-color background-color x-show-tip propertize face selected-frame tooltip-x-offset tooltip-y-offset] 7) ((error (byte-code "\302\303\"\210\304\305!\210\302\306	\"\207" [error text message "Error while displaying tooltip: %s" sit-for 1 "%s"] 3)))] 3 2473618] "mouse-2: insert after prompt as new input" nil)
  apply(ad-Advice-tooltip-show #[(text &optional use-echo-area) "\203\302	!\207\303\304\305\217\207" [use-echo-area text tooltip-show-help-non-mode error (byte-code "\306!\307\310\311\"\307\310\312\"\n;\203\313\314\n#\313\315\n#	;\203*\313\316	#\317\320\f\321\310#\322 
&+\207" [tooltip-frame-parameters bg fg params text tooltip-hide-delay copy-sequence face-attribute tooltip :foreground :background tooltip-set-param foreground-color border-color background-color x-show-tip propertize face selected-frame tooltip-x-offset tooltip-y-offset] 7) ((error (byte-code "\302\303\"\210\304\305!\210\302\306	\"\207" [error text message "Error while displaying tooltip: %s" sit-for 1 "%s"] 3)))] 3 2473618] ("mouse-2: insert after prompt as new input" nil))
  tooltip-show("mouse-2: insert after prompt as new input" nil)
  tooltip-help-tips(nil)
  run-hook-with-args-until-success(tooltip-help-tips nil)
  tooltip-timeout(nil)
  apply(tooltip-timeout nil)
  byte-code("r\301\302H\303H\"\210)\301\207" [timer apply 5 6] 4)
  timer-event-handler([t 20931 1434 815683 nil tooltip-timeout (nil) nil 0])

Invocation using "emacs -Q" also shows the function to be undefined (and
to report it as a bug):

$ emacs -Q
<In the *scratch* buffer>
(describe-function 'cheeso-reform-string) C-j
"cheeso-reform-string is an alias for `nil',                                    
which is not defined.  Please make a bug report."

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
 of 2013-05-07 on lucien
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1038
Configured using:
 `configure --with-ns --with-wide-int
 --x-includes=/opt/local/include/X11 --x-libraries=/opt/local/lib/X11
 CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include -I/opt/local/include
 -I/opt/ncurses/include LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/lib
 -L/opt/local/lib -L/opt/ncurses/lib'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: IELM

Minor modes in effect:
  nxhtml-menu-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-log-mode: t
  erc-dcc-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
w h e n - e m a c s SPC ( <backspace> ( 2 4 SPC <backspace> 
) S-SPC ( r e q u i r e SPC ' <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <backspace> 3 <down> n x <backspace> <backspace> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <backspace> 4 <down> <down> 
s o l a r i z e d ) ) ) <return> ( r e q u i r e SPC 
; c l <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> ' c l ) <return> 
<help-echo> <wheel-up> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> q <wheel-up> <wheel-up> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> C-SPC M-e M-e M-e M-e 
M-w M-> C-y <wheel-up> <double-wheel-up> <down-mouse-1> 
<mouse-1> c l : <backspace> - <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> C-e <left> <left> <left> 
<left> <left> <left> <left> <right> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> b o d y <return> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> SPC s-> M-> <return> <wheel-up> 
<help-echo> <wheel-up> <help-echo> <help-echo> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> 
<up> <up> <up> <up> <down> <right> <right> <right> 
<right> <right> <right> <right> <return> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> C-x 5 b C-g <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> M-x e m a <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> r e p o <tab> r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
End of buffer [5 times]
call-interactively: End of buffer [3 times]
No match
End of buffer [3 times]
Entering debugger...
Back to top level.
Mark set [4 times]
Entering debugger...
Quit
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
/Users/drurowin/elisp/nxhtml/tests/ert hides /Users/drurowin/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/emacs-lisp/ert
/Users/drurowin/elisp/nxhtml/related/visual-basic-mode hides /Users/drurowin/elisp/visual-basic-mode
/Users/drurowin/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/textmodes/ispell hides /Users/drurowin/elisp/ispell
/Users/drurowin/elisp/nxhtml/related/csharp-mode hides /Users/drurowin/elisp/csharp-mode

Features:
(shadow org-element org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew
org-irc org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp ob-exp org-exp-blocks
org-agenda org-info org-gnus org-docview org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb
emacsbug sendmail vc-bzr nxhtml-autostart nxhtml-autoload majmodpri
nxhtml-menu web-autoload nxhtml-base debug thumbs image-file mpc
image-dired woman tutorial help-macro help-at-pt apropos term ehelp
electric socks rlogin shell rcompile proced metamail gud grep flyspell
executable sql mule-util bbdb-hooks bbdb-gui gnus-cite smiley shr-color
color qp shr mm-archive gnus-bcklg gnus-async gnus-ml disp-table nndraft
nnmh nnfolder utf-7 bbdb-gnus bbdb-snarf mail-extr bbdb-com gnutls
network-stream starttls nnimap parse-time utf7 netrc gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig nntp gnus-cache etags ps-mule ielm
help-mode printing ebnf2ps ps-print ps-def lpr man locate bib-mode
epa-file misearch multi-isearch epa epg timeclock time-stamp tar-mode
sort snmp-mode tempo saveplace remember hexl eldoc generic-x forms-mode
forms epg-config doc-view jka-compr image-mode dired dns-mode conf-mode
arc-mode archive-mode erc-ring erc-menu erc-xdcc erc-truncate erc-track
erc-speedbar speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe erc-sound erc-services
erc-replace erc-pcomplete erc-page erc-notify erc-networks erc-netsplit
erc-match erc-log erc-identd erc-ibuffer ibuf-ext ibuffer erc-ezbounce
erc-dcc erc-capab erc-button erc-fill erc-stamp erc-join erc-autoaway
cus-edit cus-start cus-load imenu rainbow-mode-autoloads package
solarized-dark-theme solarized-theme rnc-mode gnuplot info-look info
nsis-mode git-commit git-blame git log-edit pcvs-util add-log ewoc
ispell dos crontab-mode cmake-mode slime-indentation slime-fancy
slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references slime-scratch
slime-presentations slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc slime-parse slime-repl elp slime
hyperspec browse-url edmacro kmacro fold-dwim hideshow yaml-mode
apache-mode derived csharp-mode cc-langs cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
visual-basic-mode cl-macs gv tbemail twitel oauth hmac-sha1 xml url-http
tls url-auth url-gw url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap cl
cl-lib erc-tex erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat auth-source eieio
password-cache thingatpt pp smarttabs flymake compile nnir gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems wid-edit nnoo nnheader gnus-util
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils bbdb-autoloads bbdb timezone org-table org
byte-opt warnings bytecomp byte-compile cconv nadvice advice help-fns
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote org-src ob-comint ob-keys
org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-color ring org-list org-faces
org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob
org-compat org-macs ob-eval org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu
easymenu calendar cal-loaddefs server time-date tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind ns multi-tty emacs)