Subject: bug#14661: 24.3.50; `C-<scroll>' is seen as `C-<pause>'

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 16:44:00 +0200

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 4:34 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> This is a conundrum whose way out I don't know, nor whether it at all
> exists.  Windows gives us the same virtual key code VK_CANCEL for both
> C-<scroll> and C-<pause> (for reasons of backward compatibility).

According to this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2008/02/11/7596539.aspx

there's no way to fix it:

«Even though the enhanced keyboard moved the Pause and Break functions
to their own key, pressing the Pause key internally generated scan
codes that simulated a press of Ctrl+NumLock. In other words, when you
pressed Pause, the keyboard hardware actually tells the computer, "The
user pressed the Ctrl key and then pressed the NumLock key."
Similarly, when you pressed Ctrl+Break, the keyboard hardware tells
the computer, "The user pressed the Ctrl key and then pressed the
ScrollLock key."

Therefore, Ctrl+ScrollLock acts like Ctrl+Break because at the
hardware level, they are the same thing. That the two functions exist
on separate keys is just a fake-out by the keyboard hardware.»