Subject: 24.3; ZIP files corrupted when saved via tramp

From: JuanLeon Lahoz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 13:49:51 +0200

Dear Emacs maintainers,

I start emacs with emacs -Q.  Then I open two remote files (foo.tgz and
foo.zip).  I modify a file within both of them.  I save them.  foo.tgz gets
upated correctly and foo.zip gets corrupted (same happens with jar files,
btw,
since they are zipped).

[ For reproducing the issue, you don't need the foo.tgz file, I just
mention that
to point that other compressed formats work fine for me ].

The remote files are in a system available via SSH, so that is what tramp
uses.

The funny thing is that when I modify the zip file locally, it works
fine and emacs does not remind me I need to save the zip file (emacs
reminds me to do it with the tgz file), but remotely emacs reminds me to
save the zip file.  When I do, it gets corrupted.

I was not sure if the problem lies within tramp or in the emacs code that
deals
with zip files, so I filed a bug report to tramp.  Here is their answer:

   I would say it is due to arc-mode.el. I've checked the code shortly; it
uses
   `call-process' internally, which is not prepared for remote files.
Replacing
   all such calls by `process-file' was not reasonable, at least handling of
   temporary files must be improved as well.

   I recommend to file a bug report towards Emacs, by "M-x
report-emacs-bug".

(I would appreciate very much a way to get a patch for fixing this, if/when
available)

Configured using:
 `configure '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)