Subject: Re: bug#14647: 24.3.50; doc of `set-face-font'

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2014 23:05:32 -0800

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> 1. Neither the Elisp manual (node `Attribute Functions') nor the doc
> string says what form the string FONT must or may take.

Good question.  The function is barely used in the Emacs source code
tree.  The only usage I could find that set it to something was this:

(defvar gamegrid-font "-*-courier-medium-r-*-*-*-140-100-75-*-*-iso8859-*"
  "Name of the font used in X mode.")

> 2. The manual says that this command sets the :font attribute.  The doc
> string says instead that it sets attributes :family, :foundry, :width,
> :height, :weight, and :slant.  Which is it?

Yeah.

> 3. #1 is all the more imporatnt because the doc string of `x-list-fonts'
> says that it returns a list of strings that are "suitable as arguments
> to `set-face-font'.  Really?  Just what kind of strings are so suitable?
>
> I think, but am not sure, that FONT must be in XLFD form.  Whatever the
> acceptable form(s), the doc needs to spell this out.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
  bloggy blog http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/