Subject: Re: bug#14644: emacsclient.c fails to compile

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 15:14:51 -0400

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>   Linux fencepost.gnu.org 2.6.32-47-server #1trisquel3 SMP Thu May 16 07:52:30 UTC 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> with this GCC:
>
>   gcc (Ubuntu 4.4.3-4ubuntu5.1) 4.4.3
>
> the test for "working GNU getopt function" returns 1

That uses glibc 2.11, and the (rather lengthy) conftest.c test for GNU
getopt has a piece that is commented as "This code fails on glibc 2.11".
Although it never gets a chance to return 32 since it apparently also
triggers the "core dump" section and so returns 1.

It also dumps core on RHEL6 with glib 2.12. So apparently you need to be
bleeding edge to have a GNU getopt good enough for gnulib... ;)

> , although I see no compilation problems with emacsclient.c.

Me neither.

This is a dupe of http://debbugs.gnu.org/10108, BTW.