Subject: bug#14629: 24.3.50; (elisp) `Face Attributes', :font -> "font object"

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 23:01:38 -0700 (PDT)

The description of face attribute :font is incomprehensible.

It says that the value should be a "font object".  What is that, you
ask?  Well, it says to see node `Font Selection' to find out.  But that
node says nothing about a "font object".

I have no idea what it is, that is, what possible values attribute :font
can have.  I know about the frame parameter `font', whose value is an
XLFD string (AFAICT).  But I have no idea what :font can be set to.

Not only that, but if I try to guess from using `M-x customize-face',
there is no `Font' attribute.  There are only attributes `Font Family'
and `Font Foundry'.

Please give us a clue what :font is - what forms its value takes.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2013-06-13 on ODIEONE
Bzr revision: 112978 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/c/Devel/emacs/binary --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 CFLAGS='-O0 -g3' CPPFLAGS='-Ic:/Devel/emacs/include'
 LDFLAGS='-Lc:/Devel/emacs/lib''