Subject: bug#14627: 24.2; Vertical frame size shrinking

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2013 23:09:53 +0200

On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 10:45:09 +0200 Jan Djärv <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> 23 aug 2013 kl. 19:55 skrev Karl Brodowsky <[email-masked]>:
>
>> | A possible workaround is not to update size hints when Emacs is
>> maximized or fullscreen. Jan D.
>> Since this seems to be an issue with KDE4, which is not so uncommon as
>> window manager, I would agree.
>> 
>
> I've checked in the workaround.  As I haven't seen the problem I don't know if
> it does anything, so please test it.

I've now updated and confirm that with the recipe I gave -- frame
maximized with side by side windows, one containing an Info buffer --
switching between the windows no longer causes the frame to shrink
vertically.  The only oddity is that when the Info buffer is selected
there is an empty space the width of the frame one line high below the
minibuffer.

However, there is still a shrinking problem.  In KDE clicking the
frame's (i.e. WM window's) maximize button with mouse-2 instead of
mouse-1 maximizes the frame vertically but not horizontally.  When I do
this, then split windows (either vertically or horizontally), open an
Info buffer in one window and switch between the windows, then the frame
still (i.e. even with your patch) shrinks vertically by one line for
each switch back to the Info buffer.  If I drag the border of an
unmaximized frame to make it vertically fill the desktop and repeat the
recipe, no shrinking occurs.  And if I maximize the frame horizontally
by clicking the maximize button with mouse-3 and repeat the recipe,
there is also no shrinking.

Steve Berman