Subject: Re: bug#14627: 24.2; Vertical frame size shrinking

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 13:33:23 +0300

> Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 12:21:25 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
>  > The toolbar displays no text (at least on my system), only images, so
>  > font size should have no significance, only the sizes of the images
>  > should matter.
> 
> IIUC when I change the default font size on Windows, the frame's line
> height changes and the pixel size of the toolbar changes too.  On
> Windows this won't matter, but when an external toolbar changes size it
> might and trigger the rounding effect I mentioned earlier.  But maybe
> you're right and it's the images that change size.

If the toolbar is not drawn by Emacs (a.k.a. "external toolbar"), how
can any changes in Emacs's default font change the size of the
toolbar?  I'd need to see a recipe for that, and also some explanation
from someone who understands how that external toolbar works and what,
if anything, does its size have to do with the Emacs fonts.

>  > And why would the _default_ font size in two windows
>  > of the same frame be different, anyway, when the recipe includes no
>  > commands that should have any effect on the font?
> 
> More so because windows don't have a default face.

??? Of course, they do: they start with the frame's defaults.

> The OP uses cyrillic and Stephen invokes Info, could these give a
> clue?

I don't think so, certainly not with Info.

> Can face remapping or buffer local faces have any impact?

Yes, they can.  But the recipe didn't include any face remapping.