Subject: bug#14608: closed (Re: bug#14608: [feature request] option `--' for signifying end of options and beginning of the list of file names)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 18:00:06 +0000

Your bug report

#14608: [feature request] option `--' for signifying end of options and beginning of the list of file names

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
14608: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=14608
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#14608: [feature request] option `--' for signifying end of options and beginning of the list of file names
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 13:59:48 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.4

That was just a bug. Fixed.

Subject: [feature request] option `--' for signifying end of options and beginning of the list of file names
From: niku <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 14:38:52 +0530
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Dear Emacs developers,

Many GNU and *nix world programs have the option `--' to mean end of
the list of options, and beginning of the list of file names.
Examples:
vim -- file1.txt file2.txt
rm -- file.txt

This has the added benefit that filenames with hyphen in the beginning
of the name can be
processed seamlessly, and without a security risk.

Please consider adding the option to Emacs too. In Emacs, it works
already in the X environment,
but not in Linux console. (And it is not documented.) This will

(i) add a useful and intuitive option to Emacs.
(ii) it will displace nothing: there is no such option in Emacs, or in
any proposed feature request. Further, this undocumented feature
already works under the X environment.
(iii) I imagine adding it will not be too much work for the developers!
(i) make it consistent with other text editors, so script writers will
not have to create a separate
case for Emacs.

Thanks for your consideration.

This discussion arose as a result of a discussion here:
http://ranger.carina.uberspace.de/qa/105/a-note-emacs-doesnt-recognize-the-option-in-the-console

Yours faithfully,
~Vaibhav.

In GNU Emacs 23.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
 of 2012-09-09 on trouble, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11204000
configured using `configure  '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--build'
'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib'
'--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var/lib'
'--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
'--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs23:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/23.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
'--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
'--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector
--param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall
-DDEBIAN -O2' 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_IN
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  global-visual-line-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<escape> x r e p o r t - e m a c s - b u g <return

Recent messages:
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dictem.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dictionaries-common.el (source)...
Loading debian-ispell...
Loading /var/cache/dictionaries-common/emacsen-ispell-default.el (source)...done
Loading debian-ispell...done
Loading /var/cache/dictionaries-common/emacsen-ispell-dicts.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dictionaries-common.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50emacs-goodies-el.el (source)...done
Loading battery...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/site-lisp/debian-startup hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/textmodes/flyspell

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message sendmail regexp-opt ecomplete rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader
gnus-util netrc time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit
mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug paren
battery cus-start cus-load emacs-goodies-el emacs-goodies-custom
emacs-goodies-loaddefs easy-mmode tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd font-setting tool-bar dnd fontset
image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files
text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom
widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
system-font-setting font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)