Subject: bug#14605: [O] bug#14605: bug#14605: Problem with export an .org file to .pdf does not open pdf file

From: Suvayu Ali <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 11:47:01 +0200

Hi Carsten,

On Mon, Sep 02, 2013 at 10:44:39AM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> 
> On Sep 2, 2013, at 10:34 AM, Jambunathan K <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> >     '(org-file-apps-defaults-gnu
> >       (quote
> >        ((remote . emacs)
> >         (system . "xdg-open %s")
> >         (t . mailcap))) t))
> > 
> 
> 
> I have not followed the discussion earlier.  The problem I see is that
> I do not know how widely available these commands are on Linux.  Maybe
> we can built the default value using executable-find or something like
> this?

I think I can shed some light on the availability of xdg-open.  It is
provided by xdg-utils, part of the freedesktop specification.  It is
expected to be present in most desktop systems (almost anything with a
GUI installed).  It is a direct dependency for kde-libs, gnome-libs, and
many desktop applications.

The introduction in this Archlinux wiki page gives a very succint
summary: <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xdg-open>

Hope this helps,

-- 
Suvayu

Open source is the future. It sets us free.