Subject: Re: bug#14603: 24.3.50; Error while bootstrapping Emacs on Windows

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 22:02:48 +0400

On 13.06.2013 17:44, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 17:23:28 +0400
>> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
>> CC: [email-masked]
>>
>>> How (with what command line) did you invoke the configure script?
>>
>> No arguments, just ./configure
>
> That will never work.  You need to follow the instructions in
> nt/INSTALL.MSYS.  The correct invocation is
>
>      ./nt/msysconfig.sh --prefix=PREFIX ...

So it is. Sorry!

I went through the same mistake the first time I built Emacs with MSYS, 
went to the instruction, got it right.

But now, after a few successful builds this way, and after switching 
from Windows to GNU/Linux and back a few times (I use systems of both 
kinds), on the one hand, I felt confident that I knew how to do it, on 
the other hand, the last few times I built Emacs were on Linux, so I 
completely forgot about "msysconfig.sh".

Like Glenn said, it would be great if ./configure aborted when the 
environment is MSYS (would it be too hard to detect that?), or delegated 
transparently to ./nt/msysconfig.sh.