Subject: bug#14599: An option to make vector allocation aligned

From: Daniel Hartwig <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 09:33:37 +0800

On 13 June 2013 21:31, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Jan Schukat <[email-masked]> skribis:
>> The other question is the read syntax (one of the primary reasons I'm
>> doing all this). If alignment is something that should be preserved in
>> the permanent representation, you also need to store it in the flags,
>> since the content pointer can be aligned by coincidence. I haven't
>> looked at the compiling of bytevectors yet, to see if alignment can be
>> handled easily there.
>
> I agree that we’d need some sort of annotation to specify the alignment
> of literals, but adding read syntax for that scares me somewhat.  What
> do people think?

I agree.  The read syntax for vector-ish types in guile is already
large enough.  If alignment is important then use a procedural
constructor and query.

Alignment information not need to be printed with the default
representation (read syntax), we dont also print the storage address,
etc..

Regards