Subject: Re: bug#14597: 24.3.50; Can't stop the program being debugged with gdb-mi

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2020 15:47:29 +0200

Daimrod <[email-masked]> writes:

>> `gdb-io-stop' fails to stop the program being debugged when using the
>> GDB/MI interface (M-x gdb run gdb -i=mi). C-c C-z also fails to stop the
>> program. However, no error is reported, it fails silently, without doing
>> anything.

[...]

> Here a workaround, it sends a raw string with "C-z" instead of a signal.
> There is probably a nicer solution but I don't know `gdb-mi.el' and the
> GDB/MI interface enough.
>
> With this, C-c C-z can be used in the gdb-inferior-io buffer to stop the
> program being debugged.

[...]

> -  (stop-process
> -   (get-buffer-process gud-comint-buffer) comint-ptyp))
> +  (process-send-string (get-buffer-process
> +                        (gdb-get-buffer-create 'gdb-inferior-io))
> +                       (kbd "C-z")))

There were unfortunately no comments at the time (seven years ago), but
the code in gdb-mi essentially looks the same to this day.

I'm not very familiar with gdb-mi, though -- does anybody have an
opinion here?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no