Subject: Re: bug#14594: depcomp missing from Makefile.in in AM 1.13.3

From: Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 19:38:57 +0200

On 06/12/2013 06:47 PM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) wrote:
> On Jun 12, 2013, at 9:18 AM, Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> Hi Jeff.  Thanks for the report, but I don't think there is a real
>> bug here.
> 
> Short version: yes, you're right; with your suggestion, I did more
> testing (via "make distcheck" rather than checking for "depmod" in
> the Makefile.in) and found that one of our developers made an error
> in one of our Makefile.am's that was causing the badness.
>
Good (for automake ;-), and thanks for reporting back.

> Sorry for the noise!
No problem.  In fact, before your report, I never noticed the quirky
automake behavior I described to you in my reply (that is, that
running "automake -a" twice might not be idempotent in some
circumstances), so we still have gathered useful information from
our exchange (and such information has been dutifully registered
in the bug tracker).

Best regards,
  Stefano