Subject: 23.0.60; Emacs.app can't load an Elisp file from command line?

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 14:02:38 +0100

Hello!

When launching Emacs.app as

	/Applications/AquaEmacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q -l ~/.emacs- 
init.el --debug-init &
	/Applications/AquaEmacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q -l ~/.emacs- 
init.el &

it open the Elisp file ~/.emacs-init.el as some text file in a buffer  
instead of executing it:

	.   .emacs-init.el       14811  Emacs-Lisp	  ~/.emacs-init.el
	    *scratch*              191  Lisp Interaction
	  * *Messages*             244  Fundamental

  – although the *Messages* buffer indicates that the Elisp file was  
executed (the four lines starting with "Zeile"). When I launch it as:

	/Applications/AquaEmacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -l ~/.emacs-init.el  
-Q &
	/Applications/AquaEmacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -nw -Q -l ~/.emacs- 
init.el --debug-init

Emacs.app behaves correctly and executes the Elisp file:

	.   *scratch*              191  Lisp Interaction
	  * *Messages*             225  Fundamental

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, NS apple- 
appkit-824.48)
  of 2008-11-23 on localhost
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version  
97.112.112.108.101.45.97.112.112.107.105.116.45.56.50.52.46.52.56
configured using `configure  '--without-sound' '--without-pop' '-- 
with-dbus' '--with-libotf' '--with-ns' '--disable-ns-self-contained'  
'--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application Support/Emacs/ 
calendar23:/Library/Application Support/Emacs/caml:/Library/ 
Application Support/Emacs:/sw/share/emacs21/site-lisp/elib'  
'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/lib/xft2/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/fontconfig2/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/sw/lib/freetype219/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/pango-ft219/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/sw/lib/qt4-x11/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/system-openssl/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/sw/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/share/pkgconfig:/usr/X11R6/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig' 'CFLAGS=-Wno- 
pointer-sign -bind_at_load -H -pipe -fPIC -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 - 
fast -mpim-altivec -ftree-vectorize -foptimize-register-move - 
freorder-blocks -freorder-blocks-and-partition -fthread-jumps - 
fpeephole -fno-crossjumping' 'CPPFLAGS=-no-cpp-precomp' 'LDFLAGS=- 
bind_at_load -dead_strip -multiply_defined suppress -L/sw/lib/ncurses''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
   show-paren-mode: t
   display-time-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   global-auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<ns-open-file-line> C-x C-b <menu-bar> <help-menu>
<send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Zeile  59: mWS ist ns
Zeile  63: mWS ist nicht nil
Zeile 125: vor den *-frame-alists
Zeile 179: Ende ~/.emacs-init.el
Loading time...done
Loading paren...done

In the other case, with command line options in different order and  
when no buffer for the file loaded is opened, *Messages* contains:

	For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
	Zeile  59: mWS ist ns
	Zeile  63: mWS ist nicht nil
	Zeile 125: vor den *-frame-alists
	Zeile 179: Ende ~/.emacs-init.el
	Loading time...done
	Loading paren...done

Remark also that the "Recent messages:" header line is missing! With  
no windowing system support the *Messages* buffer contains:

	("/Applications/AquaEmacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs" "-Q" "-l" "/ 
Users/pete/.emacs-init.el")
	For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
	Zeile  59: mWS ist nil
	Zeile 179: Ende ~/.emacs-init.el
	Loading time...done
	Loading paren...done

which is OK, i.e., it's the same the X client version shows.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Rain is saved up in cloud banks.