Subject: Re: bug#14582: 24.3.50.1; Strange overlay behavior, when window-start is inside an overlay.

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2022 04:54:02 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Please feel free to submit changes to relevant modes and features to
> use this new variable.  I use them only very infrequently, and am not
> annoyed by the issues that started this bug report, so I'm not a good
> candidate for suggesting such changes or testing them in Real Life.
> (I thought as soon as the new variable is demonstrated to be able to
> solve those issues, the patches to the relevant applications will
> follow immediately, either by Evgeni or by you.)

But what when I do not what to scroll?

> > BTW, did you ever use folding?  I think not as often as I do, else you
> > would have known the issue we are talking about.  My feedback was not
> > meant to annoy you - I wanted to share my experience as a user.  Didn't
> > know that that's irrelevant.
>
> It was hardly perceived as irrelevant: I spent some non-trivial time
> working on this, which I wouldn't do if I haven't thought this is
> relevant and worth working on.

I was referring to my latest feedback telling that scrolling is
suboptimal in my experience in this case, not to the conversation before
that.

> > > Bottom line: I think this bug should be closed, as the original issues
> > > were all resolved.  If you disagree, I guess I'll let Lars close it in
> > > about 10 years from now.
> >
> > I don't even know what to respond to that.
>
> Sadly, it looks like I can never disagree with you without annoying
> you to the extreme.  Happens all the time.  What am I doing wrong?

It's not only me - that ever happens only when talking to you.

Please stay friendly and if you don't agree with what I say, at least
tell me.  And tell me that a solution without scrolling involved
is not possible, and why, or why you think that scrolling is
unavoidable.  You said it can't be avoided when we do something in the
display engine.  Then maybe we should do it in a different way?  Would
that be ok for you?  If not, why?

> Am I not entitled to my own opinions about how things should be done
> in Emacs?

There are other ways to express them.  This is not about different
opinions.  To be honest, I don't know a lot about your opinion here.  I
would if you had given me feedback about the problem with scrolling I
had raised.

That message was not a friendly or neutral response, at least the part
about the alternative would be to tell Lars to close the report in 10
years.  Or was it?

You just ignored what I said and told the bug should be closed.  If
you intended to say something different, I don't know, I can only answer
and react to what you wrote.  Saying "Bug should be closed" without
replying to mentioned problems just sounds like "the discussion is
over".

Michael.