Subject: Re: bug#14576: "make install" has trouble with non-standard locallisppath directories

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 18:49:54 +0200

On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 6:44 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> "Supported" means supported by the code that was originally there for
> Posix platforms and by the changes I made for using that on Windows.
> Obviously, %emacs_dir% was not supported by the former; the changes I
> committed support that only in src/epaths.h.

OK.

> If you prefer "partially supported", I agree with that.  But partial
> support helps only those users who know to look under the hood and do
> all kinds of special tricks.  For the rest of the users, this partial
> support is the same as non-support.

That partial support would be full support (at least on Windows) if
make install didn't try to create the dirs. That's the only
unsupported aspect, AFAICS.

> Yes, and also the semi-colon usage (if that is what you want to be
> supported).

No, I don't mind that. Using /x/ instead of X: and : instead of ; in
args to the MSYS machinery seems par for the course.

> If by misfeature you mean the part that creates the directories in
> locallisppath, then I don't object to that removal.  But if it is
> removed, it must be removed on all systems, not just on Windows, IMO.

Agreed. Now, if the maintainers agree, we could go forward on that...