Subject: Re: bug#14576: "make install" has trouble with non-standard locallisppath directories

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2013 19:44:02 +0300

> From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 17:18:50 +0200
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> Obviously our definitions of "supported" and "unrelated" do not agree.

"Supported" means supported by the code that was originally there for
Posix platforms and by the changes I made for using that on Windows.
Obviously, %emacs_dir% was not supported by the former; the changes I
committed support that only in src/epaths.h.

> What does *not* work is make install's poor attempt at creating these
> directories, so I really fail to see how can you say that these issues
> are unrelated. It's make install's fail the real trouble, not passing
> %emacs_dir% to --enable-locallisppath.

If you prefer "partially supported", I agree with that.  But partial
support helps only those users who know to look under the hood and do
all kinds of special tricks.  For the rest of the users, this partial
support is the same as non-support.

> > Supporting these features will require changes in the top-level
> > Makefile.in; patches welcome.  IOW, the rest of this report is a
> > feature request.
> 
> You mean "the feature that local lisp paths containing %emacs_dir% are
> correctly created"

Yes, and also the semi-colon usage (if that is what you want to be
supported).

> I'm asking to remove a misfeature.

If by misfeature you mean the part that creates the directories in
locallisppath, then I don't object to that removal.  But if it is
removed, it must be removed on all systems, not just on Windows, IMO.