Subject: bug#14576: "make install" has trouble with non-standard locallisppath directories

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 17:18:50 +0200

On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 5:05 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I removed from nt/INSTALL.MSYS the example that made it sound as if
> %emacs_dir% is supported.
[...]
> This is IMO unrelated.

Obviously our definitions of "supported" and "unrelated" do not agree.

When a user passes --enable-locallisppath, he does it according to its
description

  --enable-locallisppath=PATH
                          directories Emacs should search for lisp files
                          specific to this site

which talks about directories to search, *not* how/when/by-who are
they created. And passing a local lisp path containing %emacs_dir% is
indeed "supported" in the sense that it works for its stated use (to
search lisp files in the load path).

What does *not* work is make install's poor attempt at creating these
directories, so I really fail to see how can you say that these issues
are unrelated. It's make install's fail the real trouble, not passing
%emacs_dir% to --enable-locallisppath.

> The other part of the reason that this
> didn't work is that you need to separate the directories with a colon
> ':', not a semi-colon (another mistake in INSTALL.MSYS that I fixed).
>
> Committed as trunk revision 112894.

Thanks.

> Supporting these features will require changes in the top-level
> Makefile.in; patches welcome.  IOW, the rest of this report is a
> feature request.

You mean "the feature that local lisp paths containing %emacs_dir% are
correctly created"; that's indeed a feature request, just not one I'm
asking for. I'm asking to remove a misfeature.