Subject: bug#14569: 24.3.50; bootstrap fails on Cygwin

From: Ken Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 10:04:00 -0400

On 7/1/2013 9:51 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 7/1/2013 8:28 AM, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
>> Il 01/07/2013 13.21, Ken Brown ha scritto:
>>
>>> Last night I began running a loop in which emacs (patched as I proposed)
>>> repeatedly starts and then exits after 15 seconds [*].  So far there
>>> hasn't been a single failure after more than 1300 iterations.  I don't
>>> know what's different about bootstrapping, but it seems that tickling
>>> Glib doesn't cause problems on Cygwin in ordinary interactive use of
>>> Emacs.  (Keep in mind that my previous test, quoted above, showed that
>>> the failure during bootstrapping always occurred within 1 second after
>>> Glib got tickled.)
>>>
>>> If no one objects, I'll go ahead and apply my patch later today.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Regarding this:
>>
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2013-06/msg00963.html
>>
>>
>> shouldn't it flagged, in some manner, to Cygwin ("Creators") list? For
>> example,
>>
>> "Bootstrapping Emacs with this patch fails on Cygwin so and so... but
>> not on GNU/Linux... Have you some idea?..."
>>
>> After all, trying to bootstrap Emacs trunk is not so much work... The
>> big work, perhaps, is in understanding the failure, I think..

[Sorry, I accidentally sent an unfinished reply.  I'll restart.]

Yes, I agree in principle, but I'm not yet sure it's a Cygwin bug, and I 
haven't been able to come up with a simple test case that exhibits the 
problem.  My naive attempt didn't work: I wrote a little C program that 
tickled Glib exactly as in process.c.  I ran it thousands of times 
without an error.  So I have to try to figure out what's different 
during bootstrapping.  And Emacs's gmalloc.c may be part or all of the 
problem too.  That's not compiled on GNU/Linux.

I'd like to keep trying to track this down for a while before asking on 
the Cygwin list.

Ken