Subject: bug#14569: 24.3.50; bootstrap fails on Cygwin

From: Angelo Graziosi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 19:50:13 +0200

Il 24/06/2013 13.02, Ken Brown ha scritto:
> On 6/23/2013 8:34 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
>> I tried something more-conservative, as trunk bzr 113148;
>> can you please give it a try?
>
> That fixed it for me.  I just ran two consecutive bootstraps without a
> problem.  Angelo, can you confirm?

I would say: No.

3 times the build was completed and the last it failed.

In each case, the build log shows errors.

A short summary.

1. Build with cygwin snapshot 20130619 and GCC 4.5.3 without parallel 
build (make bootstrap). The build is completed but the log shows:
================================================================

[...]
Compiling /work/emacs/lisp/org/ob-comint.el
       2 [main] emacs 2692 
C:\cygwin-2\home\angelo\work\emacs\Work\src\emacs.exe: *** fatal error 
in forked process - WFSO timed out after longjmp
     354 [main] emacs 2692 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to 
emacs.exe.stackdump
Wrote /work/emacs/lisp/org/ob-comint.elc
Compiling /work/emacs/lisp/org/ob-css.el
Wrote /work/emacs/lisp/org/ob-css.elc
Compiling /work/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ditaa.el
Wrote /work/emacs/lisp/org/ob-ditaa.elc
Compiling /work/emacs/lisp/org/ob-dot.el
       2 [main] emacs 2408 
C:\cygwin-2\home\angelo\work\emacs\Work\src\emacs.exe: *** fatal error 
in forked process - WFSO timed out after longjmp
     318 [main] emacs 2408 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to 
emacs.exe.stackdump
Wrote /work/emacs/lisp/org/ob-dot.elc
Compiling /work/emacs/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp.el
Wrote /work/emacs/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp.elc
[...]

2. Build with cygwin 1.17.20 and clang-3.1 with parallel build (make -j3 
bootstrap). The build is completed but the log shows:
================================================================

[...]
GLib (gthread-posix.c): Unexpected error from C library during 
'pthread_setspecific': Invalid argument.  Aborting.
Makefile:251: recipe for target `erc/erc-imenu.elc' failed
make[3]: *** [erc/erc-imenu.elc] Aborted
make[3]: *** Attesa per i processi non terminati....
Wrote /work/emacs/lisp/erc/erc-identd.elc
Wrote /work/emacs/lisp/erc/erc-join.elc

(Notice: the GLib error and the completed build)

3. Build with cygwin 1.17.20 and GCC 4.5.3 without parallel build (make 
bootstrap). The build is completed but the log shows:
================================================================

[...]
Compiling /work/emacs/lisp/cedet/semantic/decorate/mode.el
       3 [main] emacs 1136 
C:\cygwin-2\home\angelo\work\emacs\Work\src\emacs.exe: *** fatal error 
in forked process - WFSO timed out after longjmp
     402 [main] emacs 1136 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to 
emacs.exe.stackdump

In end of data:
../../lisp/cedet/semantic/decorate/mode.el:560:1:Warning: the following
[...]
Compiling /work/emacs/lisp/net/soap-client.el
       3 [main] emacs 1136 
C:\cygwin-2\home\angelo\work\emacs\Work\src\emacs.exe: *** fatal error 
in forked process - pthread_mutex::_fixup_after_fork () doesn't 
understand PROCESS_SHARED mutex's
Wrote /work/emacs/lisp/net/soap-client.elc
[...]
Compiling /work/emacs/lisp/net/tramp-sh.el
       3 [main] emacs 2512 
C:\cygwin-2\home\angelo\work\emacs\Work\src\emacs.exe: *** fatal error 
in forked process - pthread_mutex::_fixup_after_fork () doesn't 
understand PROCESS_SHARED mutex's
       3 [main] emacs 1516 
C:\cygwin-2\home\angelo\work\emacs\Work\src\emacs.exe: *** fatal error 
in forked process - pthread_mutex::_fixup_after_fork () doesn't 
understand PROCESS_SHARED mutex's
       3 [main] emacs 3572 
C:\cygwin-2\home\angelo\work\emacs\Work\src\emacs.exe: *** fatal error 
in forked process - pthread_mutex::_fixup_after_fork () doesn't 
understand PROCESS_SHARED mutex's
       3 [main] emacs 2828 
C:\cygwin-2\home\angelo\work\emacs\Work\src\emacs.exe: *** fatal error 
in forked process - pthread_mutex::_fixup_after_fork () doesn't 
understand PROCESS_SHARED mutex's
       3 [main] emacs 1520 
C:\cygwin-2\home\angelo\work\emacs\Work\src\emacs.exe: *** fatal error 
in forked process - pthread_mutex::_fixup_after_fork () doesn't 
understand PROCESS_SHARED mutex's
Wrote /work/emacs/lisp/net/tramp-sh.elc
Compiling /work/emacs/lisp/net/tramp-smb.el
[...]

4. Build with cygwin 1.17.20 and GCC 4.5.3 with parallel build (make -j3 
bootstrap). The build failed:
================================================================

[...]
No MH variant found on the system
Wrote /work/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-logic.elc
       2 [main] emacs 2436 
C:\cygwin-2\home\angelo\work\emacs\Work\src\emacs.exe: *** fatal error 
in forked process - pthread_mutex::_fixup_after_fork () doesn't 
understand PROCESS_SHARED mutex's
Compiling /work/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-mlspl.el
       2 [main] emacs 1320 
C:\cygwin-2\home\angelo\work\emacs\Work\src\emacs.exe: *** fatal error 
in forked process - pthread_mutex::_fixup_after_fork () doesn't 
understand PROCESS_SHARED mutex's
       2 [main] emacs 2356 
C:\cygwin-2\home\angelo\work\emacs\Work\src\emacs.exe: *** fatal error 
in forked process - pthread_mutex::_fixup_after_fork () doesn't 
understand PROCESS_SHARED mutex's
Wrote /work/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-mh.elc
Compiling /work/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-msg.el
       2 [main] emacs 3032 
C:\cygwin-2\home\angelo\work\emacs\Work\src\emacs.exe: *** fatal error 
in forked process - pthread_mutex::_fixup_after_fork () doesn't 
understand PROCESS_SHARED mutex's
Wrote /work/emacs/lisp/gnus/gnus-mlspl.elc
[...]
Wrote /work/emacs/lisp/mail/uce.elc
Compiling /work/emacs/lisp/mail/uudecode.el
     590 [main] emacs 820 
C:\cygwin-2\home\angelo\work\emacs\Work\src\emacs.exe: *** fatal error 
in forked process - WFSO timed out after longjmp
     928 [main] emacs 820 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to 
emacs.exe.stackdump
Wrote /work/emacs/lisp/mail/unrmail.elc
[...]
Wrote /work/emacs/lisp/org/org-indent.elc
Compiling /work/emacs/lisp/org/org-inlinetask.el
Compiling /work/emacs/lisp/org/org-irc.el
       2 [main] emacs 340 
C:\cygwin-2\home\angelo\work\emacs\Work\src\emacs.exe: *** fatal error 
in forked process - WFSO timed out after longjmp
     349 [main] emacs 340 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to 
emacs.exe.stackdump
Wrote /work/emacs/lisp/org/org-info.elc
[...]
Compiling /work/emacs/lisp/progmodes/pascal.el
Wrote /work/emacs/lisp/progmodes/opascal.elc
GLib (gthread-posix.c): Unexpected error from C library during 
'pthread_setspecific': Invalid argument.  Aborting.
Makefile:251: recipe for target `progmodes/octave.elc' failed
make[3]: *** [progmodes/octave.elc] Aborted (creato dump del core)
make[3]: *** Attesa per i processi non terminati....
Wrote /work/emacs/lisp/progmodes/pascal.elc
[...]
Wrote /work/emacs/lisp/textmodes/flyspell.elc
Compiling /work/emacs/lisp/textmodes/page-ext.el
GLib (gthread-posix.c): Unexpected error from C library during 
'pthread_setspecific': Invalid argument.  Aborting.
Wrote /work/emacs/lisp/textmodes/nroff-mode.elc
Makefile:251: recipe for target `textmodes/makeinfo.elc' failed
make[3]: *** [textmodes/makeinfo.elc] Aborted (creato dump del core)
make[3]: *** Attesa per i processi non terminati....
Wrote /work/emacs/lisp/textmodes/page-ext.elc
make[3]: uscita dalla directory "/work/emacs/Work/lisp"
Makefile:279: recipe for target `compile-main' failed
make[2]: *** [compile-main] Error 2
make[2]: uscita dalla directory "/work/emacs/Work/lisp"
Makefile:367: recipe for target `lisp' failed
make[1]: *** [lisp] Error 2
make[1]: uscita dalla directory "/work/emacs/Work"
Makefile:1002: recipe for target `bootstrap' failed
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

I don't know if we can say that the bug is fixed...

(Here is on Win XP 32 SP3, Athlon 64 X2)

Ciao,
  Angelo.