Subject: Re: bug#14554: 24.3.50; incorrect key representation in Emacs manual: `C-Mouse-N'

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 01:45:41 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> That would also require changing stuff like
>
>> @item Mouse-1
>> @kindex Mouse-1 @r{(mode line)}
>
>> Do we want all these mice in the manual to have a lower case "m"?
>
>> Also "Drag-Mouse-1" etc.
>
> I think so: these are really symbols at the Elisp level, and they are
> case-sensitive.

Just a final check before doing this.  It would require changing the 270
lines below.

Are we go for doing this on the trunk now?

-*- mode: grep; default-directory: "~/src/emacs/trunk/doc/" -*-
Grep started at Fri Apr 29 01:43:48

grep --color -nH -e Mouse-[0-9] */*.texi
emacs/buffers.texi:702:@kindex C-Down-Mouse-1
emacs/buffers.texi:706:normally on @kbd{C-Down-Mouse-1} and @kbd{C-@key{F10}}, and the menu
emacs/building.texi:932:@item @kbd{Mouse-1} (in fringe)
emacs/building.texi:935:@item @kbd{C-Mouse-1} (in fringe)
emacs/building.texi:938:@item @kbd{Mouse-3} (in fringe)
emacs/building.texi:941:@item @kbd{C-Mouse-3} (in fringe)
emacs/building.texi:945:  On a graphical display, you can click @kbd{Mouse-1} in the fringe of
emacs/building.texi:948:already exists there, the click removes it.  A @kbd{C-Mouse-1} click
emacs/building.texi:960:frame.  If you drag the arrow in the fringe with @kbd{Mouse-1}, that
emacs/building.texi:962:Alternatively, you can click @kbd{Mouse-3} in the fringe to advance to
emacs/building.texi:963:that line.  You can click @kbd{C-Mouse-3} in the fringe to jump to
emacs/building.texi:997:@item Mouse-2
emacs/building.texi:998:@kindex Mouse-2 @r{(GDB Breakpoints buffer)}
emacs/building.texi:1005:one to the other click with @kbd{Mouse-1} on the relevant button in
emacs/building.texi:1017:it with @kbd{Mouse-2}.  This also displays the associated source
emacs/building.texi:1098:(@code{gdb-frames-select}), or click @kbd{Mouse-2} on it.  Doing so
emacs/building.texi:1115:click @kbd{Mouse-2} on the value if you want to edit it.
emacs/building.texi:1119:@key{RET}, or with a @kbd{Mouse-2} click.  With earlier versions of
emacs/building.texi:1120:GDB, use @key{RET} or @kbd{Mouse-2} on the type description
emacs/building.texi:1127:click @kbd{Mouse-2} on a register if you want to edit its value.  With
emacs/building.texi:1140:Click @kbd{Mouse-1} on the appropriate part of the header line to
emacs/building.texi:1143:@kbd{Mouse-3} on the header line to select the display format or unit
emacs/building.texi:1150:@kbd{Mouse-1} on the relevant button in the header line.
emacs/building.texi:1174:  To expand or contract a complex data type, click @kbd{Mouse-2} or
emacs/building.texi:1189:(@code{gdb-edit-value}).  Or you can click @kbd{Mouse-2} on a value to
emacs/calendar.texi:22:  @kbd{Mouse-3} in the calendar brings up a menu of operations on a
emacs/calendar.texi:23:particular date; @kbd{Mouse-2} brings up a menu of commonly used
emacs/calendar.texi:463:@item Mouse-3 Holidays
emacs/calendar.texi:486:click on that date with @kbd{Mouse-3} and then choose @kbd{Holidays}
emacs/calendar.texi:551:@item Mouse-3 Sunrise/sunset
emacs/calendar.texi:568:@kbd{S}.  Alternatively, click @kbd{Mouse-3} on the date, then choose
emacs/calendar.texi:780:@item Mouse-3  Other calendars
emacs/calendar.texi:834:date in all forms known to Emacs.  You can also use @kbd{Mouse-3} and
emacs/calendar.texi:1023:@item Mouse-3 Diary
emacs/calendar.texi:1061:@kbd{Mouse-3} on the date, and then choose @kbd{Diary entries} from
emacs/dired.texi:356:@item Mouse-1
emacs/dired.texi:357:@itemx Mouse-2
emacs/fixit.texi:411:it with @kbd{Mouse-2} (@code{flyspell-correct-word}) to display a menu
emacs/frames.texi:73:@kindex Mouse-1
emacs/frames.texi:74:@kindex Mouse-2
emacs/frames.texi:75:@kindex Mouse-3
emacs/frames.texi:77:@item Mouse-1
emacs/frames.texi:80:@item Drag-Mouse-1
emacs/frames.texi:84:@item Mouse-2
emacs/frames.texi:88:@item Mouse-3
emacs/frames.texi:97:invoked by clicking with the left mouse button, @kbd{Mouse-1}, in the
emacs/frames.texi:113:  Holding down @kbd{Mouse-1} and dragging the mouse over a stretch
emacs/frames.texi:135:  Clicking with the middle mouse button, @kbd{Mouse-2}, moves point to
emacs/frames.texi:139:you can rebind @kbd{Mouse-2} to @code{mouse-yank-at-click}, which
emacs/frames.texi:144:non-@code{nil} value, @kbd{Mouse-2} does not move point; it inserts
emacs/frames.texi:150:  Clicking with the right mouse button, @kbd{Mouse-3}, runs the
emacs/frames.texi:156:If no region is active, clicking @kbd{Mouse-3} activates the region,
emacs/frames.texi:160:If a region is active, clicking @kbd{Mouse-3} adjusts the nearer end
emacs/frames.texi:167:@kbd{Mouse-1}, so that the region is defined to consist of entire
emacs/frames.texi:169:region with @kbd{Mouse-3} also proceeds by entire words or lines.
emacs/frames.texi:172:If you use @kbd{Mouse-3} a second time consecutively, at the same
emacs/frames.texi:174:to kill text with the mouse is to click @kbd{Mouse-1} at one end, then
emacs/frames.texi:175:click @kbd{Mouse-3} twice at the other end.  To copy the text into the
emacs/frames.texi:176:kill ring without deleting it from the buffer, press @kbd{Mouse-3}
emacs/frames.texi:177:just once---or just drag across the text with @kbd{Mouse-1}.  Then you
emacs/frames.texi:212:  These variants of @kbd{Mouse-1} select entire words or lines at a
emacs/frames.texi:217:@item Double-Mouse-1
emacs/frames.texi:229:@item Double-Drag-Mouse-1
emacs/frames.texi:232:@item Triple-Mouse-1
emacs/frames.texi:235:@item Triple-Drag-Mouse-1
emacs/frames.texi:241:@kindex Mouse-1 @r{(on buttons)}
emacs/frames.texi:242:@kindex Mouse-2 @r{(on buttons)}
emacs/frames.texi:259:@key{RET}, or by clicking either @kbd{Mouse-1} or @kbd{Mouse-2} on the
emacs/frames.texi:266:  Although clicking @kbd{Mouse-1} on a button usually activates the
emacs/frames.texi:274:  You can change how @kbd{Mouse-1} applies to buttons by customizing
emacs/frames.texi:279:is @code{nil}, @kbd{Mouse-1} just sets point where you clicked, and
emacs/frames.texi:284:  Normally, @kbd{Mouse-1} on a button activates the button even if it
emacs/frames.texi:287:@kbd{Mouse-1} on a button in an unselected window moves point to the
emacs/frames.texi:298:@item C-Mouse-1
emacs/frames.texi:299:@kindex C-Mouse-1
emacs/frames.texi:305:@item C-Mouse-2
emacs/frames.texi:306:@kindex C-Mouse-2
emacs/frames.texi:311:@item C-Mouse-3
emacs/frames.texi:312:@kindex C-Mouse-3
emacs/frames.texi:321:@item S-Mouse-1
emacs/frames.texi:326:  Some graphical applications use @kbd{Mouse-3} for a mode-specific
emacs/frames.texi:327:menu.  If you prefer @kbd{Mouse-3} in Emacs to bring up such a menu
emacs/frames.texi:329:@kbd{Mouse-3} by adding the following line to your init file
emacs/frames.texi:352:@item Mouse-1
emacs/frames.texi:353:@kindex Mouse-1 @r{(mode line)}
emacs/frames.texi:354:@kbd{Mouse-1} on a mode line selects the window it belongs to.  By
emacs/frames.texi:355:dragging @kbd{Mouse-1} on the mode line, you can move it, thus
emacs/frames.texi:360:@item Mouse-2
emacs/frames.texi:361:@kindex Mouse-2 @r{(mode line)}
emacs/frames.texi:362:@kbd{Mouse-2} on a mode line expands that window to fill its frame.
emacs/frames.texi:364:@item Mouse-3
emacs/frames.texi:365:@kindex Mouse-3 @r{(mode line)}
emacs/frames.texi:366:@kbd{Mouse-3} on a mode line deletes the window it belongs to.  If the
emacs/frames.texi:369:@item C-Mouse-2
emacs/frames.texi:371:@kbd{C-Mouse-2} on a mode line splits that window, producing two
emacs/frames.texi:376:@kindex Mouse-1 @r{(scroll bar)}
emacs/frames.texi:377:  Furthermore, by clicking and dragging @kbd{Mouse-1} on the divider
emacs/frames.texi:922:side of each Emacs window.  Clicking @kbd{Mouse-1} on the scroll bar's
emacs/frames.texi:924:@kbd{Mouse-1} above or below the scroll bar's inner box scrolls the
emacs/frames.texi:930:support, the scroll bar behaves differently.  Clicking @kbd{Mouse-1}
emacs/frames.texi:932:@kbd{Mouse-3} scrolls backward like @kbd{M-v}.  Clicking @kbd{Mouse-2}
emacs/frames.texi:978:@kbd{Mouse-1} on the that scroll bar's left and right buttons scrolls
emacs/frames.texi:979:the window horizontally by one column at a time.  Clicking @kbd{Mouse-1}
emacs/frames.texi:1069:@kindex C-Mouse-3 @r{(when menu bar is disabled)}
emacs/frames.texi:1073:with @kbd{C-Mouse-3} on a display which supports pop-up menus.
emacs/help.texi:346:@kbd{Mouse-1} or @kbd{Mouse-2}, or move there and type @key{RET}.
emacs/help.texi:407:@item Mouse-1
emacs/help.texi:408:@itemx Mouse-2
emacs/help.texi:430:the hyperlink with @kbd{Mouse-1} or @kbd{Mouse-2}.  Doing so replaces
emacs/killing.texi:590:@kindex M-Drag-Mouse-1
emacs/killing.texi:592:@item M-Drag-Mouse-1
emacs/killing.texi:603:@kindex M-Mouse-1
emacs/killing.texi:604:@item M-Mouse-1
emacs/killing.texi:609:@kindex M-Mouse-3
emacs/killing.texi:610:@item M-Mouse-3
emacs/killing.texi:612:the other at the position specified with @kbd{M-Mouse-1}
emacs/killing.texi:614:text in the kill ring.  A second @kbd{M-Mouse-3} at the same place
emacs/killing.texi:618:@kindex M-Mouse-2
emacs/killing.texi:619:@item M-Mouse-2
emacs/killing.texi:624:Double or triple clicking of @kbd{M-Mouse-1} operates on words and
emacs/killing.texi:625:lines, much like @kbd{Mouse-1}.
emacs/killing.texi:627:If @code{mouse-yank-at-point} is non-@code{nil}, @kbd{M-Mouse-2} yanks
emacs/macos.texi:54:  @kbd{S-Mouse-1} adjusts the region to the click position,
emacs/macos.texi:55:just like @kbd{Mouse-3} (@code{mouse-save-then-kill}); it does not pop
emacs/macos.texi:56:up a menu for changing the default face, as @kbd{S-Mouse-1} normally
emacs/maintaining.texi:435:description of the version control status.  Pressing @kbd{Mouse-1}
emacs/maintaining.texi:1338:context menu invoked by @kbd{Mouse-2}.  Furthermore, some VC backends
emacs/maintaining.texi:1816:@kbd{@key{RET}} or clicking @kbd{Mouse-2} will pop a buffer showing
emacs/maintaining.texi:1868:@itemx Mouse-2
emacs/mark.texi:72:@item Drag-Mouse-1
emacs/mark.texi:74:@item Mouse-3
emacs/mini.texi:222:and clicking @kbd{Mouse-1} there shows the @file{*Messages*} buffer.
emacs/mini.texi:340:@item Mouse-1
emacs/mini.texi:341:@itemx Mouse-2
emacs/misc.texi:1220:@item Mouse-2
emacs/misc.texi:1229:@key{RET}} or @kbd{Mouse-2} produces the same results---the same
emacs/misc.texi:2138:@kbd{Mouse-2} on it, or move point over it and type @key{RET}).  For
emacs/misc.texi:2647:its text; or by clicking with @kbd{Mouse-2}, or by clicking
emacs/misc.texi:2648:@kbd{Mouse-1} quickly (@pxref{Mouse References}).  Following a URL is
emacs/misc.texi:2721:@item S-Mouse-3
emacs/misc.texi:2722:@kindex S-Mouse-3 @r{(FFAP)}
emacs/misc.texi:2725:@item C-S-Mouse-3
emacs/misc.texi:2726:@kindex C-S-Mouse-3 @r{(FFAP)}
emacs/msdos-xtra.texi:125:two buttons; these act as @kbd{Mouse-1} and @kbd{Mouse-2}, but if you
emacs/msdos-xtra.texi:126:press both of them together, that has the effect of @kbd{Mouse-3}.  If
emacs/mule.texi:502:all the possible characters at once; then clicking @kbd{Mouse-2} on
emacs/mule.texi:1039:@kbd{Mouse-3} on the coding system indicator in the mode line
emacs/programs.texi:1308:@kindex S-Mouse-2
emacs/programs.texi:1316:@item S-Mouse-2
emacs/rmail.texi:1255:Then you can browse these URLs by clicking on them with @kbd{Mouse-2}
emacs/rmail.texi:1256:(or @kbd{Mouse-1} quickly) or by moving to one and typing @kbd{C-c
emacs/search.texi:206:@kindex Mouse-1 @r{in the minibuffer (Incremental Search)}
emacs/search.texi:209:@kbd{Mouse-1} in the minibuffer.  Type @key{RET}, @kbd{C-s} or
emacs/search.texi:237:@kindex Mouse-2 @r{in the minibuffer (Incremental search)}
emacs/search.texi:245:(@code{yank-pop}) command (@pxref{Yanking}).  Clicking @kbd{Mouse-2}
emacs/text.texi:1258:@item @kbd{C-M-Mouse-1} zooms in on the heading clicked on
emacs/text.texi:1269:@item @kbd{C-M-Mouse-2} exposes text under the heading clicked on
emacs/text.texi:1280:@item @kbd{C-M-Mouse-3} hides text under the heading clicked on or exits fold
emacs/text.texi:2159:in the menu bar (@pxref{Menu Bar}), or with @kbd{C-Mouse-2}
emacs/windows.texi:74:@item C-Mouse-2
emacs/windows.texi:132:@kindex C-Mouse-2 @r{(mode line)}
emacs/windows.texi:133:@kindex C-Mouse-2 @r{(scroll bar)}
emacs/windows.texi:134:  If you click @kbd{C-Mouse-2} in the mode line of a window, that
emacs/windows.texi:137:clicking @kbd{C-Mouse-2} in the scroll bar, which puts a horizontal
emacs/windows.texi:161:@item Mouse-1
emacs/windows.texi:162:@kbd{Mouse-1}, in the text area of a window, selects the window and
lispref/display.texi:5986:The follow-link property, defining how a @key{Mouse-1} click behaves
lispref/display.texi:6173:@code{mouse-1-click-follows-link} is set, a quick @key{Mouse-1} click
lispref/text.texi:3787:or @kbd{Mouse-2} on that link do something; and (3) setting up a
lispref/text.texi:3809:  To make the link clickable, bind @key{RET} and @kbd{Mouse-2} to
lispref/text.texi:3812:instance, Dired's major mode keymap binds @kbd{Mouse-2} to the
lispref/text.texi:3855:@kbd{Mouse-2} remain available for the rest of the text in the buffer.
lispref/text.texi:3858:  The basic Emacs command for clicking on links is @kbd{Mouse-2}.
lispref/text.texi:3860:also recognizes @kbd{Mouse-1} clicks on links, provided the user
lispref/text.texi:3874:circumstances under which a @kbd{Mouse-1} click should be regarded as
lispref/text.texi:3876:that says what to translate the @kbd{Mouse-1} click into.  The link
lispref/text.texi:3885:For example, here is how Info mode handles @key{Mouse-1}:
lispref/text.texi:3897:For example, here is how pcvs enables @kbd{Mouse-1} to follow links on
lispref/text.texi:3915:The action code tells @kbd{Mouse-1} how to follow the link:
lispref/text.texi:3919:If the action code is a string or vector, the @kbd{Mouse-1} event is
lispref/text.texi:3921:action of the @kbd{Mouse-1} click is the local or global binding of
lispref/text.texi:3923:@kbd{Mouse-1} translates into @kbd{f}.  If it is @code{[foo]},
lispref/text.texi:3924:@kbd{Mouse-1} translates into @key{foo}.
lispref/text.texi:3927:For any other non-@code{nil} action code, the @kbd{Mouse-1} event is
lispref/text.texi:3928:translated into a @kbd{Mouse-2} event at the same position.
lispref/text.texi:3931:  To define @kbd{Mouse-1} to activate a button defined with
lispref/text.texi:3935:handles @kbd{Mouse-1}:
lispref/text.texi:3943:  To define @kbd{Mouse-1} on a widget defined with
lispref/text.texi:3947:a @key{Mouse-1} click shall be translated to @key{RET}:
misc/ebrowse.texi:424:A click with @kbd{Mouse-3} on a mouse-sensitive region opens a context
misc/ebrowse.texi:426:that is opened with a click with @kbd{Mouse-3} somewhere in the buffer
misc/ebrowse.texi:491:@kbd{Mouse-3} on the class name.
misc/ebrowse.texi:554:@kbd{Mouse-3} on the class name.
misc/ebrowse.texi:901:displayed when clicking @kbd{Mouse-2} on a member name.
misc/efaq.texi:2411:@kbd{Mouse-2} or press @key{RET} on a message text in the
misc/efaq.texi:3891:@kbd{Mouse-1}) also fall under this category.
misc/idlwave.texi:1284:@kbd{S-Mouse-3} to access context sensitive online help.  The following
misc/idlwave.texi:1330:Routine Info display.  Click with @kbd{Mouse-3} on an item to see the
misc/idlwave.texi:1334:with possible completions, clicking with @kbd{Mouse-3} on a completion
misc/idlwave.texi:1580:possible completion is available by clicking with @kbd{Mouse-3} on the
misc/idlwave.texi:2814:details.  @kbd{Mouse-3} on the breakpoint line pops up a menu of
misc/idlwave.texi:3154:@kbd{S-Mouse-2} to print an expression and @kbd{C-M-Mouse-2} to invoke
misc/idlwave.texi:3222:available on @kbd{C-S-Mouse-2}.  Just as for all the other mouse
misc/info.texi:674:@kindex Mouse-2 @r{(Info mode)}
misc/info.texi:682:window will pop up, saying ``Mouse-2: go to that node,'' or the same
misc/info.texi:685:  @kbd{Mouse-2} is the second button of your mouse counting from the
misc/info.texi:688:button''.)  The message tells you pressing @kbd{Mouse-2} with the
misc/info.texi:693:  More generally, @kbd{Mouse-2} in an Info buffer finds the nearest
misc/info.texi:697:end of the node's text @kbd{Mouse-2} moves to the next node, or up if
misc/info.texi:722:  Another way to go Up is to click @kbd{Mouse-2} on the @samp{Up}
misc/info.texi:743:@kbd{Mouse-1} on a cross reference to follow it; you can see that the
misc/mh-e.texi:1569:There are some commands that need to read mail, such as @kbd{Mouse-2}
misc/mh-e.texi:1838:@kindex Mouse-2
misc/mh-e.texi:1840:@item Mouse-2
misc/mh-e.texi:1848:@kindex Mouse-1
misc/mh-e.texi:1849:@kindex Mouse-2
misc/mh-e.texi:1852:@itemx Mouse-1
misc/mh-e.texi:1853:@itemx Mouse-2
misc/mh-e.texi:2025:@kindex Mouse-2
misc/mh-e.texi:2028:cursor is on while @kbd{Mouse-2} (@code{mh-show-mouse}) displays the
misc/mh-e.texi:2204:@kindex Mouse-2
misc/mh-e.texi:2210:highlighted email address, use @kbd{Mouse-2} or @kbd{C-c @key{RET}}
misc/mh-e.texi:2340:@kindex Mouse-1
misc/mh-e.texi:2341:@kindex Mouse-2
misc/mh-e.texi:2343:To view the contents of the button, use either @kbd{Mouse-1} or
misc/mh-e.texi:2344:@kbd{Mouse-2} on the button or @key{RET} (@code{mh-press-button}) when
misc/mh-e.texi:2564:@kindex Mouse-2
misc/mh-e.texi:2568:that highlights links. These can be clicked with @kbd{Mouse-2} to view
misc/mh-e.texi:2653:@kindex S-Mouse-2
misc/mh-e.texi:6264:@kindex Mouse-2
misc/mh-e.texi:6278:folder name with @kbd{Mouse-2} to visit that folder in a similar
misc/mh-e.texi:6313:@kindex Mouse-3
misc/mh-e.texi:6315:You can click on @kbd{Mouse-3} to bring up a context menu that
misc/sem-user.texi:1176:In addition, clicking @kbd{Mouse-1} on the header line opens a context
misc/sem-user.texi:1202:In addition, clicking @kbd{Mouse-3} on the highlighted declaration
misc/speedbar.texi:65:``expanding'' items.  Clicking means using @kbd{Mouse-2} on a
misc/speedbar.texi:319:@item Mouse-1
misc/speedbar.texi:321:@item Mouse-2
misc/speedbar.texi:322:@itemx Double-Mouse-1
misc/speedbar.texi:323:Activate the current button.  @kbd{Double-Mouse-1} is called a @dfn{double
misc/speedbar.texi:326:@c Isn't it true that with two-button mice, the right button is Mouse-2?
misc/speedbar.texi:327:@c On GNU/Linux, the right button is Mouse-3.
misc/speedbar.texi:328:@item S-Mouse-2
misc/speedbar.texi:329:@itemx S-Double-Mouse-1
misc/speedbar.texi:331:This has the same effect as @kbd{Mouse-2}, except it is called a power
misc/speedbar.texi:335:@item Mouse-3
misc/speedbar.texi:338:@item Mouse-1 @r{(mode line)}
misc/speedbar.texi:341:@item C-Mouse-1
misc/speedbar.texi:358:In the main menu, found by clicking @kbd{Mouse-3}, there is a submenu
misc/viper.texi:2594:feature, and the @kbd{Meta-Shift-Mouse-1} mouse action is already bound to
misc/viper.texi:2672:@kindex @kbd{S-Mouse-1}
misc/viper.texi:2673:@kindex @kbd{S-Mouse-2}
misc/viper.texi:4431:@item S-Mouse-1
misc/viper.texi:4440:@item S-Mouse-2
misc/viper.texi:4448:@kindex @kbd{S-Mouse-1}
misc/viper.texi:4449:@kindex @kbd{S-Mouse-2}
misc/widget.texi:246:@kindex Mouse-2 @r{(on button widgets})
misc/widget.texi:247:@item Mouse-2
misc/widget.texi:459:@code{widget-backward}, respectively.  @key{RET} and @kbd{Mouse-2}
misc/woman.texi:674:@kbd{Mouse-2} will cause WoMan to follow the reference.  Alternatively,
misc/woman.texi:679:@kbd{Mouse-2} over it provided the Meta key is also used (although in
misc/woman.texi:685:@item @kbd{Mouse-2}
misc/woman.texi:686:@kindex Mouse-2

Grep finished (matches found) at Fri Apr 29 01:43:48

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no