Subject: bug#14554: 24.3.50; incorrect key representation in Emacs manual: `C-Mouse-N'

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 14:37:17 -0800 (PST)

> > Since altering throughout the manual may change node names and
> > index entries, would it make sense to hold off on doing this
> > change until the next release cycle?
> 
> Yes, AFAIK this is not a new problem, so there's no hurry to fix it.

1. True.  But there also should be no hurry to push the release
out the door.  It is a good opportunity to fix such things that
do not impact other behavior.

Besides, we will go into pretest, and that is supposedly a time
for fixing bugs, and not just bugs in new features or newly
introduced.

2. I do not see why using correct notation would change node
names.  But I suppose there could be a node name with an
incorrectly noted key binding in it.

3. It is also the case that nothing requires that you find and
fix all such typos at once.  And even if you try to do so you
might miss some.

In sum, it's a pretty lame excuse that (a) to fix this right
would require extensive changes to the manual (not demonstrated)
and (b) any such extensive typo-fixing changes should wait until
the next release because they are not critical for this release.

It's been 8 months since the bug was filed.  Why suppose that
this will be high on your plate for the next release?

Why not at least fix the bug reported, if you want to hold off
making a pass through the whole doc for similar typos?  Don't
make the ideal the enemy of the good.