Subject: Re: bug#14541: 24.3.50; `ediff-buffers' does not play well with recent Cygwin version

From: Achim Gratz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2013 21:07:08 +0200

Drew Adams writes:
>> It is wrong to do this in setup-cygwin.el even when you want this
>> environment variable to have exactly that value.
>
> Wrong?  Feel free to provide an Emacs setup file that "DTRT for
> everyone" all the time.

As I've been unsuccessfully trying to explain to you, there can be no
such setup file.

> But especially, please do provide something better.  I will be
> the first to use it and to point others to it, believe me!

I think I've already said that if you want to set that option and be
sure it takes effect, you need to do it from the system panel.  That's
what you might put in a comment in setup-cygwin.el, without trying to
produce unknown and potentially undefined or unwanted effects by setting
the CYGWIN environment variable.

>> It must already be set before Emacs gets started.
>
> Not as far as I can see.  Not for the case I use it for: using
> Cygwin almost exclusively with Emacs.  In that use case, the
> first Cygwin process is launched by Emacs.

There never was a dispute that it didn't solved your problem.  In
general however, you can't even be sure that Emacs starts the first
Cygwin process after it gets to setup-cygwin.el and if you install
Cygwin to provide services there will never be any point in time where
there is no Cygwin process while your session is active.

> But wasn't it you, BTW, who said that an alternative (presumably
> working reliably) is to "use cygpath to convert to POSIX instead"?

Yes.  That warning says "please do not hand a Windows path to Cygwin",
so you would never see this warning or need an option to suppress it if
you would use POSIX paths only.  The tool to convert between the two
representations is cygpath.

Regards,
Achim.
-- 
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

Factory and User Sound Singles for Waldorf rackAttack:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSounds