Subject: bug#14518: C and Emacs Lisp code parts

From: Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2016 09:25:54 +0200

On 06.07.2016 00:48, John Wiegley wrote:
>>>>>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> In which you were asked to provide some numbers, but gave none. Please do
>> provide them, and perhaps that bug could be taken care of.
> Until we have numbers, no action will be taken here. I am still of the
> position that *more* code should be moved from C to Emacs Lisp, and not the
> other way around.
>
> If there are cases where this might be a bad idea, measurement is needed to
> convince me. As others have said, performance is a complex beast, and human
> guesses about how a modern machine operates are more often wrong than not.
>

M-x elp-instrument-function RET define-abbrevs RET
do some edits
M-x elp-results RET

abbrev--describe               36050       15.224345396 0.0004223119
abbrev-edit-save-buffer        1           8.034011581   8.034011581
abbrev-edit-save-to-file       1           8.033998314   8.033998314
abbrev--write                  18025       5.8414600190 0.0003240754
define-abbrevs                 1           1.334075568   1.334075568
abbrev-get                     107835      0.5151135200 4.776...e-06
abbrev-table-get               36964       0.1173239610 3.174...e-06
abbrev-table-put               18320       0.0690998279 3.771...e-06
abbrev-table-empty-p           584         0.010703864 1.832...e-05
abbrev-table-p                 584         0.0050513859 8.649...e-06
abbreviate-file-name           91          0.002899625 3.186...e-05
abbrev-table-name              2           0.000254252   0.000127126
abbrev-mode                    1           1.4463e-05    1.4463e-05