Subject: Re: bug#14513: 24.3.50; Site load-path pieces differ in MSYS build

From: Achim Gratz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 21:02:54 +0200

Eli Zaretskii writes:
> This is all still true, except that some of the directories are not
> immediately below the root of the installation tree, but somewhat
> deeper.  E.g., what was previously in ROOT/lisp is now in
> ROOT/share/emacs/VERSION/lisp.  Why is that difference important?

It is not, the OP's talking about the missing "../site-lisp" part.

> Did you really have files in "%emacs_dir%/../site-lisp"?  If you did,
> you'd probably be the first one I know about who did.  Most people
> don't even know that directory is looked in.

FWIW, I use a directory structure which relies on a ../site-lisp to be
accessible by multiple Emacs versions installed in parallel, just like
on UN*Xy boxes.

> If you do have files in this directory, you'll have to copy them into
> each new tree, if you really want the threes to be separate, not under
> a single root.  But you'll probably need that anyway, because Lisp
> files had better be compiled by the Emacs version that runs them.

When was that change announced?  It used to be sufficient to compile
them with the oldest Emacs version (or not at all).

Regards,
Achim.
-- 
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

SD adaptation for Waldorf Blofeld V1.15B11:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSDada