Subject: Re: bug#14513: 24.3.50; Site load-path pieces differ in MSYS build

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 01:55:32 +0200

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 8:20 AM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I'd prefer to poll users whether they use that ../site-lisp directory,
> before adding this to the instructions.  I suspect very few do, which
> would mean we make the instructions more complex than they already
> are.

I use ../site-lisp all the time. In /Devel/emacs/repo (which is the
shared bzr repo) I have site-lisp, and the checkouts for emacs-24, an
optimized build of trunk, a debug one, etc. (all built in-place). I
also have older releases, but they don't cause me trouble with .elc
because when I run an older Emacs is usually to check something and I
run them under -Q (or -q --no-site-file).

With the MSYS build, I don't really want to do "make install" (too
slow), and if I do, it's in-place, so the ability to share
installation dirs between releases does not really do anything for me
(not that is not a great feature, just that it doesn't match my use).

I hadn't noticed yet that ../site-lisp wasn't now on the load path. I
could work around it by deleting share/emacs/site-lisp and symlinking
it to ../site-lisp, but then I risk deleting my ../site-lisp when
removing an old working copy. Not a good idea.

So count this as a belated vote for, at least, documenting
--enable-locallisppath

   J