Subject: bug#14509: Centerd calendar buffer

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 19:32:58 -0400

E Sabof <[email-masked]> writes:

> The following snippet will center the content of the calendar
> window. If there is interest in integrating this into emacs, I can
> reformat it as a patch. A possible interface to enable it could be
> (setq calendar-left-margin 'auto)

(This was filed in 2013 but never got a reply.)

Thanks for your interest in Emacs, and sorry you didn't get a reply
sooner.

I don't know if you're still interested in working on this.  If you
are, here are some questions:

Could you please explain a bit about the motivation for this feature.
Any particular reason you feel that the calendar buffer is better
centered?  Most other buffers just display text to the left.

And wouldn't it be better to have a general mode to center *any*
buffer?  I know there have been attempts in that direction, and quite
possibly there already exists functioning packages to do it.  That
would mean users could pick and choose where to apply this effect,
rather than having to write code to achieve it "manually" for every
mode.

If I don't hear back from you, I'm inclined to close this bug as
wontfix.  So please let us know what you think.  Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas