Subject: bug#14508: closed (scroll-conservatively==1 not honored for fast line by line navigation up)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 20:18:03 +0000

Your bug report

#14508: scroll-conservatively==1 not honored for fast line by line navigation up

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
14508: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=14508
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: scroll-conservatively==1 not honored for fast line by line navigation up
From: Barry OReilly <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 15:17:00 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I ended up settling on settings:

 '(font-lock-maximum-decoration (quote ((c++-mode . 2))))
 '(scroll-conservatively 101)
 '(scroll-margin 4)

and in the C++ mode hook:

  (setq jit-lock-defer-time 0.01)

So I am able to scroll through C++ buffers with timely redisplays and
without recenterings. Closing.

Subject: scroll-conservatively==1 not honored for fast line by line navigation up
From: Barry OReilly <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 18:58:33 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Let /tmp/scroll-conservatively-1.el have this content:

  (setq scroll-conservatively 1)
  (add-hook 'term-setup-hook (lambda () (goto-char (point-max))))

And /tmp/foo.cpp as attached.

Also set the keyboard repitition rate somewhat high.

Start Emacs by: emacs -Q /tmp/foo.cpp --load /tmp/scroll-conservatively-1.el

Hold arrow up key, recentering occurs while scrolling up.

Note: Script goes to EOB because I only witness this for scroll ups, not
scroll downs.

I witness this regularly when navigating C++ source code.

----

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.6 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.4)
 of 2013-05-23 on redacted
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.70101000
System Description:    Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 5.4 (Tikanga)

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/redacted/user/boreilly/sw/emacs-install-trunk
 --with-gif=no'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: C++/l

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o r t - e m a c <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
foo.cpp has auto save data; consider M-x recover-this-file
Loading cc-langs...done

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message cl-macs gv format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cc-langs cl nadvice cl-lib cc-mode
cc-fonts easymenu cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)