Subject: 24.3; TAB in shell mode never ignores case, even though I want it to

From: Eric Hanchrow <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 10:37:30 -0700

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgment at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

I started emacs with

        /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q

I typed M-x shell RET

At the shell prompt, I typed "cd doc", then I hit the TAB key.  The
shell's current directory was my home directory, and that directory
contains a subdirectory named "Documents".  I expected the TAB key to
complete the name "Documents", but it just beeped.  I then did M-: (setq
completion-ignore-case t) RET, and tried again, but it still just
beeped.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
 of 2013-03-12 on bob.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1187
Configured using:
 `configure '--host=x86_64-apple-darwin' '--build=i686-apple-darwin'
 '--with-ns' 'build_alias=i686-apple-darwin'
 'host_alias=x86_64-apple-darwin' 'CC=gcc -mmacosx-version-min=10.7
 -isystem
 /Users/david/Xcode-10.7_4.5.2/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.7.sdk/usr/include/
 -F/Users/david/Xcode-10.7_4.5.2/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.7.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Shell

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x d <return> M-x s h e l l <return> l s <return>
c d SPC d e o c <tab> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
o c <tab> <tab> C-c C-u C-h v c o m p l e <tab> o <tab>
i <backspace> - i <tab> g <tab> - c <tab> <return>
c d SPC D o <tab> <backspace> <backspace> d o c <tab>
M-x s e t - v a r <tab> <return> c o m p l <tab> -
o <tab> <M-backspace> <M-backspace> i g <tab> <M-backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> - <tab> C-g C-x o <tab> <tab>
<return> C-x 0 C-h v M-p C-k r e a d - f i <tab> i
<tab> <return> C-x 1 C-h c <tab> <tab> M-x s e t -
v a r <tab> <return> c o m p l <tab> <tab> C-g C-h
v M-p C-k c o m p l e <tab> o <tab> - i <tab> g <tab>
- c <tab> <return> M-: M-p M-( s e t q SPC c o m p
l e <M-tab> i <M-tab> o <M-tab> - i <M-tab> g <tab>
- c <tab> SPC t <return> <tab> M-x r e p o r t - e
m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
TAB (translated from <tab>) runs the command completion-at-point
No match
Making completion list...
Quit
Making completion list...
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
user-error: Beginning of history; no preceding item
Making completion list... [2 times]
t
No match

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu help-fns pcmpl-unix shell
pcomplete comint ansi-color ring dired time-date tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty emacs)