Subject: 24.3; previous-line, vertical-motion move too far with fci-mode on

From: Matt McClure <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 11:12:55 -0400

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgment at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

----

Get a copy of Fill-Column-Indicator, e.g. with:

    git clone https://github.com/alpaker/Fill-Column-Indicator.git

Start Emacs with:

    open -n -a Emacs --args -Q --no-site-file --eval '(progn
(load-file "/path/to/Fill-Column-Indicator/fill-column-indicator.el")
(fci-mode t))'

You'll land in a `*scratch*` buffer with three lines of comments
followed by two blank lines, and the point will be on the last line
(line 5).

Call `vertical-motion` twice directly or indirectly:

    C-p C-p

or:

    M-: (vertical-motion -1) RET M-: M-p RET

Observe that the point moves from line 4 to line 2 on the second
`vertical-motion`.

I expect the point to move to line 3 rather than line 2.

----

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
 of 2013-03-13 on bob.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1187
Configured using:
 `configure '--host=x86_64-apple-darwin' '--build=i686-apple-darwin'
 '--with-ns' 'build_alias=i686-apple-darwin'
 'host_alias=x86_64-apple-darwin' 'CC=gcc -mmacosx-version-min=10.7
 -isystem
 /Users/david/Xcode-10.7_4.5.2/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.7.sdk/usr/include/
 -F/Users/david/Xcode-10.7_4.5.2/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.7.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  fci-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-p C-p C-n C-n C-n C-n C-p C-p C-n C-n C-n C-n C-p
C-p C-n C-n C-n C-n <escape> : v e r t i c <tab> m
o <tab> <tab> C-a ( C-e SPC - 1 ) <return> <escape>
: <escape> p <return> <escape> x b u g SPC g n u <tab>
C-g <escape> x r e p o r C-g C-g <escape> x r p o <backspace>
<backspace> e r p o <tab> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
p o r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Loading /Users/mlm/config/emacs/Fill-Column-Indicator/fill-column-indicator.el
(source)...done
byte-code: End of buffer [3 times]
-1 (#o377777777777777777777, #x3fffffffffffffff) [2 times]
Quit [3 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils disp-table fill-column-indicator
easy-mmode time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process ns
multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Matt McClure
http://matthewlmcclure.com
http://www.mapmyfitness.com/profile/matthewlmcclure