Subject: bug#14502: 24.3; dired-load-hook should not be customizable

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 21:42:17 -0700

Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]> writes:

> dired-load-hook is customizable, but dired-x's manual correctly says
> that you should add code to your init file to load dired-x in
> dired-load-hook. I tried customizing the hook instead, and that doesn't
> work. As with find-file-hook (see bug #13870), I suggest that
> dired-load-hook either be made non-customizable, or a warning added to
> the docstring.

(I'm going through old bug reports that have unfortunately gotten no
responses yet.)

I'm not sure I understand the problem, and #13870 does not talk about
`find-file-hook'.

Does it matter whether you use `add-hook' or Customize for this
particular hook?  Most hooks are customisable, surely, including
`find-file-hook'.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no