Subject: bug#14474: 24.3.50; Zombie subprocesses (again)

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 01:38:56 +0200

Hello,

dunno if this is related to bug#12980.  Although I had used a fresh
build all the time, I saw the following problem yesterday for the first
time (note: was on a trip before, so the problem could have been
introduced one or two weeks before today).

I'm using emacs-snapshot on Debian, currently a five days old build:

"GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2)
 of 2013-05-21 on dex, modified by Debian"

I'm experiencing the following:

- I start Emacs in X as a different user (via gksu), or

- I start Emacs from an X session that was started with startx

In such an Emacs, any child process seems to become a zombie after being
finished.  E.g., after typing "exit" in a *terminal* running bash, there
is still a running buffer process.  As a symptom, CPU is used
continuously at 100% until I C-x C-c.

However, if I log in via display manager and don't switch to another
user via gksu, this doesn't happen.  And: it happens with the gtk
version as well as with the lucid version, but _not_ with emacs -nw in
an xterm.

Please ask me if you need more info.

Thanks,

Michael.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2)
 of 2013-05-21 on dex, modified by Debian
 (emacs-snapshot package, version 2:20130520-1)
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11204000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux testing (jessie)

Configured using:
 `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --host x86_64-linux-gnu
 --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs-snapshot:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3.50/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.3.50/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --without-compress-info --with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-imagemagick=yes
 CFLAGS='-DDEBIAN -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=5000 -g -O2'
 CPPFLAGS='-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS='-g -Wl,--as-needed
 -znocombreloc''