Subject: bug#14473: closed (Re: bug#14473: 24.3; emacs locks up when eshell attempts to display a dialog)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 19:35:03 +0000

Your bug report

#14473: 24.3; emacs locks up when eshell attempts to display a dialog

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
14473: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=14473
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#14473: 24.3; emacs locks up when eshell attempts to display a dialog
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Joseph Mingrone <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 21:34:16 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Joseph Mingrone <[email-masked]> writes:

> Switching to term mode by adding ("make" "config") `to
> eshell-visual-subcommands' does now work, so I think this bug can be
> closed.

Thanks for verifying that it solves the problem.

> Running `make config` was more common in the past, but many FreeBSD
> users now install pre-built packages or build their own packages with
> tools on top of the ports tree.  I am less familiar with OpenBSD, but am
> relatively confident that most OpenBSD users install pre-built packages.
> Another complication is that many users would run this as `sudo make
> config` or `doas make config` on OpenBSD.

Perhaps we should leave the default alone then.  I'm consequently
closing the bug report.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: 24.3; emacs locks up when eshell attempts to display a dialog
From: Joseph Mingrone <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 14:19:22 -0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When working in Eshell, if a dialog such as
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/install/dist-set2.png is to
be displayed, Emacs will lock up and the processor will stay at 100%
until Emacs is killed.  This also happens when starting with Emacs -Q.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (amd64-portbld-freebsd9.1, X toolkit)
 of 2013-03-31 on phe.ath.cx
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11006000
Configured using:
 `configure '--localstatedir=/var' '--without-rsvg'
 '--with-x-toolkit=athena' '--without-xaw3d'
 '--without-toolkit-scroll-bars' '--without-gif' '--with-xft'
 '--without-m17n-flt' '--with-otf' '--without-imagemagick'
 '--without-gsettings' '--without-gconf' '--with-xim' '--with-sound'
 '--without-dbus' '--with-xml2' '--with-gnutls'
 '--x-libraries=/usr/local/lib' '--x-includes=/usr/local/include'
 '--prefix=/usr/local' '--mandir=/usr/local/man'
 '--infodir=/usr/local/info/' '--build=amd64-portbld-freebsd9.1'
 'build_alias=amd64-portbld-freebsd9.1' 'CC=cc' 'CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe
 -fno-strict-aliasing' 'LDFLAGS= -L/usr/local/lib
 -Wl,-rpath=/usr/local/lib' 'CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include' 'CPP=cpp''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-spelling-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-log-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  erc-services-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:

Recent messages:
("emacs")
Loading autorevert...done
Loading paren...done
Starting Emacs daemon.
When done with this frame, type C-x 5 0
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message idna rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils help-mode
server auctex-autoloads tex-site info dired+-autoloads
exec-path-from-shell-autoloads fill-column-indicator-autoloads
google-translate-autoloads iy-go-to-char-autoloads
multi-eshell-autoloads multi-term-autoloads rainbow-delimiters-autoloads
erc-track erc-spelling flyspell ispell erc-ring erc-netsplit erc-menu
erc-match erc-log erc-pcomplete erc-button erc-fill erc-stamp wid-edit
erc-join paren autorevert cus-start cus-load bbdb-autoloads uniquify tls
stumpwm-mode edmacro kmacro easy-mmode package ido ess-toolbar ess-mouse
mouseme browse-url ess-menu ess-swv ess-noweb ess-noweb-font-lock-mode
ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d ess-sas-l ess-sas-a shell pcomplete
ess-arc-d ess-vst-d ess-xls-d ess-lsp-l ess-sta-d ess-sta-l cc-vars
cc-defs make-regexp ess-sp6-d ess-sp5-d ess-sp3-d ess-julia ess-r-d
compile ess-tracebug warnings ess-roxy advice cl-lib advice-preload
hideshow ess-help ess-developer ess-r-args eldoc help-fns ess-s-l ess
ess-inf comint ansi-color ring ess-mode ess-noweb-mode ess-utils
ess-custom executable ess-compat ess-site erc-services erc-networks
erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat format-spec auth-source eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv gnus-util time-date mm-util
mail-prsvr password-cache thingatpt pp epa-file epa derived epg
epg-config doc-view easymenu jka-compr image-mode dired bbdb timezone
tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dynamic-setting
font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)