Subject: bug#14469: closed (Re: bug#14469: non-portable pthread in finalizers.c)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 21:36:02 +0000

Your bug report

#14469: non-portable pthread in finalizers.c

which was filed against the guile package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
14469: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=14469
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#14469: non-portable pthread in finalizers.c
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Panicz Maciej Godek <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 23:33:28 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Panicz Maciej Godek <[email-masked]> skribis:

> still hopelessly trying to build 2.0.9 on mingw,
> using the up-to-date git master branch,

The ‘master’ branch is “version 2.1”–i.e., the upcoming development
series for the future 2.2.

Guile 2.0.9 is part of the stable series and should not has this problem
on MinGW, so I would recommend using it.

> and I keep getting the following error:
>
> finalizers.c: In function 'start_finalization_thread':
> finalizers.c:259:7: error: wrong type argument to unary exclamation mark
> finalizers.c: In function 'stop_finalization_thread':
> finalizers.c:274:7: error: used struct type value where scalar is required
> finalizers.c:279:27: error: incompatible types when assigning to type
> 'pthread_t' from type 'int'
>
> here, the problem is that the code uses a non-portable feature of linux
> pthreads, namely that pthread_t is implemented as an arithmetic type.

Indeed.  Commit 1701a68 (in ‘master’) fixes that.

Thanks!

Ludo’.

Subject: non-portable pthread in finalizers.c
From: Panicz Maciej Godek <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 11:16:06 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

still hopelessly trying to build 2.0.9 on mingw,
using the up-to-date git master branch, and I keep
getting the following error:

finalizers.c: In function 'start_finalization_thread':
finalizers.c:259:7: error: wrong type argument to unary exclamation mark
finalizers.c: In function 'stop_finalization_thread':
finalizers.c:274:7: error: used struct type value where scalar is required
finalizers.c:279:27: error: incompatible types when assigning to type
'pthread_t' from type 'int'

here, the problem is that the code uses a non-portable feature of linux
pthreads, namely that pthread_t is implemented as an arithmetic type.
The manual page for pthread_self(3) states:

"POSIX.1 allows an implementation wide freedom in choosing the type used to
represent a thread ID; for example, representation using either an
arithmetic type or  a  structure  is  permitted.   Therefore, variables of
type pthread_t can't portably be compared using the C equality operator
(==); use pthread_equal(3) instead."

Mingw pthreads do make use of that freedom, and define pthread_t as a
struct, hence the code fails to compile.

As I browsed through bug-guile, and it seems to be a recurring issue, and
usually the proposed solution is to compile guile without threads, which is
not acceptable in my case.