Subject: bug#14468: closed (Re: bug#14468: 24.3.50; Improve display of semantic-symref)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 05:08:02 +0000

Your bug report

#14468: 24.3.50; Improve display of semantic-symref

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
14468: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=14468
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#14468: 24.3.50; Improve display of semantic-symref
From: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 10:37:32 +0530
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

OP here.  Closed.

Subject: 24.3.50; Improve display of semantic-symref
From: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 14:34:47 +0530
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This bug supersedes bug##13549

Improve display of semantic-symref.

1. The symbol being searched goes in to the BUFFER NAME.  I think it
   will be much useful to *also* display all the search params
   (specifically the tag) RIGHT WITHIN the buffer.

2. I find the display offered by cscope (and a mock-up that I created)
   involve lesser overheads. See 

   http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?msg=5;filename=grep-proof-of-concept-cf-cscope.png;att=3;bug=13549

   Let me explain:

   1. semantic-symref munges each grep output in to two lines.  One
      displaying the signature of the function that contains the hit.
      Another displaying the actual hit.

   2. cscope (and my mock up) on the other hand, displays JUST the
      function context (and NO signature).  Everything goes in to a
      single line.

  There is too much text in semantic-symref and hence it takes some
  effort to actually see the function context and the text hit with a
  quick glance.

I wish if someone could write a results munger (and also a displayer)
for semantic which mimics what cscope does.  If one wants to actually
look at the signature, one can actually turn ON
`global-semantic-idle-summary-mode' so that signatue can be seen if
needed.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.3 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2013-05-25 on debian-6.05
Bzr revision: 112729 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10707000
Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IN
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Symref