Subject: bug#14461: 24.3.50; bad display for 'space' + (U+0336) unicode combination

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 21:50:33 -0700

Cédric Chépied <[email-masked]> writes:

> start emacs -Q
> use scratch buffer for example
> type 'l' then M-x insert-char RET 336 RET
> 'l' letter will be stroken
> type ' ' (space) then M-x insert-char RET 336 RET
> space char is not stroken but strikeout is visible after the space character.
> If you paste the entire line to someone using emacs 23 (with erc for example)
> his display is ok.
> As far as I know, space char is the only one with this behaviour.

(I'm going through old bug reports that have unfortunately gotten no
responses yet.)

I'm not quite sure I understand the bug report, but I tried this recipe,
and I'm not able to reproduce any odd behaviour here in Emacs 27 (I
think).

If I type

l M-x insert-char RET 336 RET

I get

l̶

which is displayed here as an l with a dash after it -- no overstrikes
or anything.  The same happens with a space character instead of an l.

I'm guessing something has changed with combining characters here?  Or
do I need to be in a particular language environment for the l and the
dash to combine?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no