Subject: bug#14461: 24.3.50; bad display for 'space' + (U+0336) unicode combination

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 14:29:08 +0200

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 12:02:21 +0200 Cédric Chépied <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Stephen Berman wrote:
>> I also see l with a dash after it in Emacs started with -Q, in which the
>> font is DejaVu Sans Mono.  But when I then enable variable-pitch-mode,
>> which uses DejaVu Sans, I see l overlayed with a dash.
>
> You are right, it depends on the font. But with DejaVu Sans I still have the
> problem with spaces.

Do you mean that the dash is displayed after rather than over the space
character?  If so, I see this too, but...

> @Lars Ingebrigtsen U+0336 is 'Combining Long Stroke Overlay' so I think it
> should always be combined with the last character.

... I assume combining characters are always displayed after a space
instead of over it -- at least that's what I see with e.g. U+0301
(COMBINING ACUTE ACCENT) and U+0302 (COMBINING CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT).  That
makes sense to me (otherwise, you couldn't visually distinguish e.g. the
sequence 'aU+0301U+0302' from the sequence 'aU+0301 U+0302') and I would
guess some Unicode standard prescribes it.

Steve Berman