Subject: Re: bug#14457: 24.3; buggy forward-sexp in octave mode?

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 00:07:38 -0400

> 1. Open the attached file
> 2. Move point to end of the word 'otherwise'
> 3. M-: (forward-sexp -1)

Please in your bug reports, do mention the behavior that you see rather
than assume that I will see the same one.  Also, try to explain the
behavior you would have liked to see instead.

What I see is that it jumps to "right after the previous matching case".
Is that what you see?

> Is this correct behaviour?

It's the expected behavior, at least (IOW if it changes, you'll have to
adjust the indentation rules accordingly).

Since "after otherwise" is not a position that corresponds to the end of
a "sexp", the meaning of (forward-sexp -1) is unclear.  SMIE defines
such things in a way I found useful, but admittedly, it might take some
time to get used to it.

What behavior did you expect?

        Stefan