Subject: bug#14424: 24.3.50; Regression: Failure to find acronym with case-fold-search t

From: Barry OReilly <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 09:43:27 -0400

Let find-gnu-message.el contain:
  (progn
    (switch-to-buffer "*Messages*")
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (let ((case-fold-search t))
      (re-search-forward "gnu")))

With Emacs 24.3:
  emacs -Q --load find-gnu-message.el
The string "GNU" is found in the *Messages* buffer.

Do the same thing with Emacs from trunk. "GNU" is not found.

As discussed at
https://bitbucket.org/lyro/evil/issue/286/evil-search-with-smart-evil-ex-search-case,
the implicated commit is:

b7139a2e8b2dc9c06507909cd863d0c124388f91 is the first bad commit
commit b7139a2e8b2dc9c06507909cd863d0c124388f91
Author: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date:   Wed Mar 27 10:33:03 2013 -0400

    * lisp/case-table.el (case-table-get-table): New function.
    * lisp/case-table.el: Use lexical-binding.
    (case-table-get-table): New function.
    (get-upcase-table): Use it.  Mark as obsolete.  Adjust callers.
    * src/casetab.c (init_casetab_once): Don't abuse the ascii eqv table for
    the upcase table.

---

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.2 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.4)
 of 2013-05-17 on redacted
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.70101000
System Description:    Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 5.4 (Tikanga)

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/redacted/linux/boreilly/sw/emacs/install
 --with-gif=no'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  global-whitespace-mode: t
  global-cedet-m3-minor-mode: t
  global-semantic-mru-bookmark-mode: t
  global-semanticdb-minor-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-scheduler-mode: t
  semantic-mode: t
  global-ede-mode: t
  evil-mode: t
  evil-local-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading /redacted/user/boreilly/redacted-dev.el (source)...
Loading
/redacted/linux/boreilly/cc/current/vobs/redacted_dev/Software_Engineering/redacted/Dev/lib/redacted-swit.el
(source)...done
Loading /redacted/user/boreilly/redacted-dev.el (source)...done
Loading whitespace...done
Source file `/home/boreilly/.emacs.d/my/my-config.el' newer than
byte-compiled file
2013-05-20T09:40:23.343854 Finished loading init file.
2013-05-20T09:40:23.352873 Inside my-prog-mode-hook
2013-05-20T09:40:23.353067 Inside my-emacs-lisp-mode-hook for buffer
*scratch*
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
2013-05-20T09:40:23.356007 Finished with my-term-setup-hook.
--------------------------------
let: Search failed: "gnu"

Load-path shadows:
/redacted/user/boreilly/sw/cedet/lisp/speedbar/loaddefs hides
/redacted/user/boreilly/sw/cedet/lisp/eieio/loaddefs
/redacted/user/boreilly/sw/cedet/lisp/speedbar/loaddefs hides
/redacted/user/boreilly/sw/cedet/lisp/cedet/loaddefs
/redacted/user/boreilly/sw/cedet/lisp/speedbar/loaddefs hides
/home/boreilly/l/sw/emacs/lisp/loaddefs
/redacted/user/boreilly/sw/cedet/lisp/eieio/chart hides
/home/boreilly/l/sw/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/chart
/redacted/user/boreilly/sw/cedet/lisp/eieio/eieio hides
/home/boreilly/l/sw/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio
/redacted/user/boreilly/sw/cedet/lisp/eieio/eieio-speedbar hides
/home/boreilly/l/sw/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio-speedbar
/redacted/user/boreilly/sw/cedet/lisp/eieio/eieio-custom hides
/home/boreilly/l/sw/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio-custom
/redacted/user/boreilly/sw/cedet/lisp/eieio/eieio-base hides
/home/boreilly/l/sw/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio-base
/redacted/user/boreilly/sw/cedet/lisp/eieio/eieio-datadebug hides
/home/boreilly/l/sw/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio-datadebug
/redacted/user/boreilly/sw/cedet/lisp/eieio/eieio-opt hides
/home/boreilly/l/sw/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio-opt

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils my-config whitespace cus-start cus-load my-proj
eassist derived cedet-m3 semantic/mru-bookmark semantic/db-mode
semantic/idle semantic/bovine/gcc semantic/dep semantic/ia
semantic/analyze/refs semantic/senator semantic/db-find semantic/db-ref
semantic/decorate working fame pulse cedet-devel-load warnings eieio-opt
help-mode find-func srecode/map srecode semantic/canned-configs
semantic/ia-sb semantic/analyze semantic/sort semantic/scope
semantic/analyze/fcn semantic/db semantic/ctxt semantic/format
semantic/tag-ls semantic/find semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic
semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local cedet-compat inversion
ede/speedbar ede/files ede ede/base ede/auto ede/source eieio-base
eieio-speedbar speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe easymenu eieio-custom
wid-edit cedet eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core
cedet-remove-builtin cl-macs gv evil evil-integration evil-maps
evil-commands evil-types evil-search evil-ex evil-macros evil-repeat
evil-states evil-core evil-common windmove rect evil-digraphs evil-vars
ring edmacro kmacro undo-tree diff goto-chg rainbow-delimiters my-util
advice help-fns electric paren delsel autorevert cl nadvice cl-lib
time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)