Subject: Re: 23.0.60; C-h in allout mode

From: "ken manheimer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 13:21:00 -0500

i've considered it more than once, particularly since i personally
find the C-h "show all bindings" binding so useful.  my reluctance has
been because "h" is such a nice mnemonic for "hide".  ultimately, i
think it should be done, but need to feel more comfortable with the
provisions for users to adjust the key bindings to their liking, along
with changing it.

so, what i'd like to see is:

- default  assignment of "C-c" (for "collapse") in the allout map to
   allout-hide-current-subtree
- default assignment of "C-h" so it shows the key translations (i
   suppose leaving it unbound accomplishes that?)
- customization provisions for the individual allout map key
   assignments (in addition to the already-present customization
   provision for the key prefix)

i will probably do that sometime in the next few weeks, if nobody else
takes it on.  (revisiting considerations of online guidance for
allout, i would also like to see a new "allout-help" function bound to
"?" in the allout map which provides a help-buffer-ish menu of the
other help resources, like the allout-mode help, the C-h key
translations, the help for allout-toggle-current-subtree-encryption,
etc..  i'm going to put that in my list of pending things for eventual
satisfaction, and again would not mind having someone else beat me to
it...:-)
--
ken
http://myriadicity.net

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 11:22 AM, Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Hi Ken,
>
> What do you think about this suggestion?
>
> > The following element should be removed from allout-keybindings-list:
> >
> >  ("\C-h" allout-hide-current-subtree)
> >
> > because it prevents "C-c SPC C-h" to list all key bindings starting with
> > "C-c SPC", unlike other modes.