Subject: Re: bug#14394: jit-lock-force-redisplay redefinition breaks jit fontification in auctex

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 19:11:55 +0300

> From: Antoine Levitt <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 11:23:07 +0200
> 
> A commit of Stefan Monnier in April 23 changed the API of
> jit-lock-force-redisplay. First and easiest, the docstring of
> jit-lock-force-redisplay was not changed, and still mentions the old BUF
> argument.
> 
> Second, this breaks function font-latex-jit-lock-force-redisplay in
> auctex, which uses the old prototype. This is present in emacs and
> auctex from trunk.

The doc string fix issue aside, is there any reason why AUCTeX should
call jit-lock-force-redisplay, instead of always using its expanded
code, like it does for versions of Emacs that don't have that
function?

I mean, doesn't this incident speak volumes about the danger of using
internal APIs?