Subject: bug#14392: 24.3.50; VHDL mode rebinds DEL and M-DEL

From: Dima Kogan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 15:17:52 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Dima Kogan <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 09:27:01 -0700
>> 
>>     (define-key vhdl-mode-map [delete]	     'delete-char)
>>     (define-key vhdl-mode-map [(meta delete)] 'kill-word))
>> 
>> These redefine the behaviour of DEL and M-DEL in VHDL mode in a way
>> that's not specific to VHDL. The new behavior of M-DEL is different from
>> the emacs default, which is to kill backward, not forward.
>
> The above bindings bind 'delete', not DEL, which is a different key.

Thanks for looking, Eli. You're right, they are different. For some
yet-unknown reason I was seeing those lines break my M-backspace
binding. Restarting with 'emacs -Q' made it work, even with those lines
enabled.

Regardless, I do think the patch is appropriate. Suppose a user has
customized those particular keys in their .emacs to have some particular
global binding. Why would it be desirable to override those
customizations for VHDL?