Subject: Re: 23.0.60; ido-mode unresponsive once new filename typed

From: Adrian Robert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 19:44:32 -0500

On Nov 28, 2008, at 4:14 PM, Klymak Jody wrote:

>
> On Nov 27, 2008, at  8:10 AM, Chong Yidong wrote:
>
>>> I am using ido-mode, the following works fine on previous emacsen.
>>>
>>> If I try and open a file in a directory that does not exist, ido  
>>> hangs
>>> with a "Searching for 'newfile'..."  I have to "Force Quit" emacs.
>>> Old Emacsen would allow me to keep typing or create a new file by
>>> hitting return.
>>
>> I can't reproduce this on GNU/Linux.  It could be a nextstep-only  
>> bug.
>> Could you provide an exact recipe, starting with `emacs -Q'?
>
> /Applications/Emacs23.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q
> eval: (require 'ido) (ido-mode t)
> C-x C-f newfi

Can't replicate this by starting the Emacs -Q from the emacs src  
directory, setting ido-mode, and then trying "C-x C-f newdir/foo  
<Ret>".  Is there anything unusual about which dir you sit in when  
executing the emacs command, or what type of dir or filename you have  
to type in?  Do you have any NFS or other network mounts?