Subject: bug#1437: 23.0.60; ido-mode unresponsive once new filename typed

From: Klymak Jody <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 13:14:26 -0800

On Nov 27, 2008, at  8:10 AM, Chong Yidong wrote:

>> I am using ido-mode, the following works fine on previous emacsen.
>>
>> If I try and open a file in a directory that does not exist, ido  
>> hangs
>> with a "Searching for 'newfile'..."  I have to "Force Quit" emacs.
>> Old Emacsen would allow me to keep typing or create a new file by
>> hitting return.
>
> I can't reproduce this on GNU/Linux.  It could be a nextstep-only bug.
> Could you provide an exact recipe, starting with `emacs -Q'?

/Applications/Emacs23.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs -Q
eval: (require 'ido) (ido-mode t)
C-x C-f newfi

ido says "Searching for 'newfi'...." and hangs if there is no  
"newfile" in the current directory.

It does seem to eventually come back, but it is a few minutes.  It  
uses substantial cpu cycles, and there appears to be a fair bit of  
data being read from disk. When it comes back it has sometimes found a  
suitable suggestion in another directory.  Thats nice, but I can't  
interrupt the search to type the proper name in.  ido on Emacs 22  
seems fine.

Please let me know how else I can help debug this.

Cheers,  Jody

--
Jody Klymak
http://web.uvic.ca/~jklymak/