Subject: Re: C-Click on a mode in the mode-line causes crash in MacOS X

From: Adrian Robert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 12:32:16 +0200

I still cannot reproduce it.  The only clue I can find is that the  
crash seems to be deep inside OS X's own menu code, when it  
apparently tries to send a selection to -[EmacsView
writeSelectionToPasteboard:types:].  This should only occur if a  
native services menu selection is made, however for Emacs.app we  
override the services menu with our own items, so any selection from  
the actual visible services menu goes through ns-perform-service.

In your case, it seems doing your mouse action is somehow triggering  
a call into the (hidden and overridden) original services menu.  Do  
you know why this might be?  Do you have anything unusual running on  
your Mac, such as something that automatically is active when a  
selection is made or a menu item chosen, or a certain type of mouse- 
click made, or something like that?

Anyway, I have checked in something that might at least avoid the  
crash for now, it simply stubs out the methods in question:

-writeSelectionToPasteboard:types: and -readSelectionFromPasteboard:

Let me know if this stops the crash, and if so, if any behavior that  
is normally expected (in connection with this behind-the-scenes  
service call if you know what it is) is not observed.

thanks,
Adrian