Subject: Re: bug#14349: org-agenda does not handle diary appointments with days

From: Nic Ferrier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 May 2013 22:42:15 +0100

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

> Nic Ferrier wrote:
>
>> Take that first entry out and it's the same problem.
>
> Sure. The first line is simply the only thing that tells me you are
> using European date format. It isn't the default and you didn't say.
>
>> The problem is the addition of the day. But the day is added by default
>> by `calendar-date-string'.
>
> ?
>
> emacs -Q -f calendar
> i d
> -> May 4, 2013
>
> (no day)
>
> Please give a complete recipe starting from emacs -Q.

Thanks for taking the time here. I've always found the calendar and
diary to be a bit "difficult".

But I didn't say anything about the diary insert functions available
from calendar. Specifically I called out:

 (calendar-date-string '(05 13 2013)) 
   => "Monday, May 13, 2013"

This is used by the Outlook integration I was referring to on the devel
list:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-05/msg00067.html

The reason that function behaves like that is because the function is
supposed to be separately customized with calendar-date-display-form.

You're right, my emacs does have:

  calendar-date-style => 'european

so calendar-date-string should be expected to insert in that style
should it not?

I've tested from -Q and it all looks good, but that makes sense.

When you have:

  calendar-date-style => 'american

and no customization of:

  calendar-date-display-form 

then inserting dates with calender-date-string is fine.

But when you have:

  calendar-date-style => 'european

and no customization of:

  calendar-date-display-form 

then inserting dates with calender-date-string is not fine, it's broken
in the way I described.

Which means we should either tie calendar-date-style and
calendar-date-display-form together or nor use
calendar-date-display-form to insert directly into the diary?

Nic