Subject: bug#14337: Acknowledgement (Nothing to be done for `base.log'.)

From: Bruce Korb <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2013 06:37:28 -0700

On 05/03/13 02:27, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
> retitle 14337 Uncleer error messages when a test script is missing
> severity 14337 minor
> tags 14337 wontfix
> thanks

Meets _my_ expectation... :)

>> Never mind.  I think the test driver code should say something
>> useful, however.  I neglected to notice that EXTRA_DIST should
>> include $(TESTS) or the tests won't get rolled into the tarball.
>>
>> test -f $test_file || { echo cannot find $test_file ; exit 1 } 1>&2
>>
> That would prevent the user to use the contents of $(TESTS) as

If someone were to type "make dist TESTS=bogus", then they get what they deserve :)

> Not sure how actually useful that usage can be, but I see no
> pressing reasons to change the status quo ATM.  Other people might
> think differently though, and I'm ready to change my mind, so I
> won't close this report for the moment being.

I think clear error messages are always important, even if the
circumstances are rare.  If you know how to give the hapless user
(like me) better guidance, it's best to do so.  Messages about
"nothing to be done for base.log" are much more obscure than
"no rule to make target" or "cannot find base.test".