Subject: 24.2; Inconsistency in vhdl-comment-uncomment-line

From: Martin Clajus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2013 12:25:12 -0700

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgement at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

In vhdl-mode, when I use the keystrokes C-c C-l C-c (function
vhdl-comment-uncomment-line) to comment out an indented line, the
comment characters are placed at the beginning of the text, to the right
of the spaces that make up the indentation. If I apply the same
keystroke combination again to the same, now commented line, I would
expect it to be uncommented again. This expectation is based on my
experience with the function in Emacs v.23 and on the description of the
function in Emacs Help. Instead, I just get an additional pair of
comment characters. Commenting and uncommenting work correctly on lines
that are not indented, and the uncomment part of the function also works
on lines that I have commented out manually by placing the comment
characters at the beginning of the *line*, to the left of the
indentation.

The same inconsistency occurs with the function
vhdl-comment-uncomment-region (keystrokes C-c C-c) if the region
consists exclusively of indented lines.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
c:/emacs/etc/DEBUG.

Emacs did not crash.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
 of 2012-08-28 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENU
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: (only . t)

Recent input:
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <drag-mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-c C-g C-g <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <drag-mouse-1> C-c
C-c <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement>
<drag-mouse-1> C-c C-c C-_ C-_ <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement>
<mouse-movement> <drag-mouse-1> C-c C-c <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement>
<mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement>
<drag-mouse-1> C-c C-c <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> C-h a v h d l SPC c o m m e n t <return>
<help-echo> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> C-c C-l C-c C-c C-l C-c <wheel-up> C-_ C-_
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-c C-l C-c C-c C-l C-c <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> - - C-c C-l C-c <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-2> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1>
C-x 1 <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <buffer> C-a
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <tool-bar>
<kill-buffer> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu>
<about-emacs> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <wheel-up> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1>
<help-echo> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> <drag-mouse-1>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<menu-bar> <buffer> <select-named-buffer> <help-echo>
* s c r a t c h * <return> C-y <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <se
nd-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Undo! [2 times]
Auto-saving...done
Type C-x 1 to remove help window. 
Undo! [2 times]
Type "q" in help window to restore its previous buffer.
Auto-saving...
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Auto-saving...
byte-code: Beginning of buffer
Mark set

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode view apropos mule-util face-remap
dired-aux dired hexl eldoc help-fns newcomment misearch multi-isearch
vhdl-mode hippie-exp easymenu compile comint regexp-opt ansi-color ring
assoc time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image
fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)

-- 

Martin Clajus

NOVA R&D, Inc.
833 Marlborough Ave., Suite 200
Riverside, California 92507-2133
Phone: (951) 781-7332
Fax:   (951) 781-4858
EMail: [email-masked]
Web Page: http://www.novarad.com
----------------------------------

This communication and any files transmitted with it contain information which is confidential and may be privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender. Thank you for your co-operation.