Subject: bug#14333: 24.3.50; Emacs hangs when trying to exit

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 11:59:34 +0300

> Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 09:44:53 +0200
> From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> >> Of those, the only feature I think I use is Emacs server, because I
> >> have `(server-start)' in my init file.
> >
> > That's what I thought.  So, if you start "emacs -Q" and then manually
> > start the server, does Emacs hang when exiting right after that?
> 
> It doesn't, nor it hangs if I start Emacs without "-Q" and then I try
> to close it.

Which probably means we have some race condition somewhere...

> As I said, it is not too easy to trigger the problem.  I've trying
> some experiments this morning, but I'm not able to get a hanged
> session on purpose.

When this happens next time, see if you can kill the thread whose call
stack is this:

  * Stack:
      wow64cpu.dll!TurboDispatchJumpAddressEnd+0x6c0
      wow64cpu.dll!TurboDispatchJumpAddressEnd+0x4a8
      wow64.dll!Wow64SystemServiceEx+0x1ce
      wow64.dll!Wow64LdrpInitialize+0x429
      ntdll.dll!RtlIsDosDeviceName_U+0x24c87
      ntdll.dll!LdrInitializeThunk+0xe
      ntdll.dll!ZwWaitForSingleObject+0x15
      kernel32.dll!WaitForSingleObjectEx+0x43
      kernel32.dll!WaitForSingleObject+0x12
      emacs.exe+0x91a12
      emacs.exe+0x5503d
      kernel32.dll!BaseThreadInitThunk+0x12
      ntdll.dll!RtlInitializeExceptionChain+0x63
      ntdll.dll!RtlInitializeExceptionChain+0x36
  * Emacs stack translation:
      0x1091a12 is in _sys_wait_accept (w32.c:6982).
      0x105503d is in reader_thread (w32proc.c:1017).

(IOW, the thread that waits inside _sys_wait_accept), by pushing the
"Kill" button in the Process Explorer's "Threads" display.  If you
succeed in killing the thread (it should get a red background and
perhaps disappear from the display), please see if doing so makes
Emacs exit by itself right after that.